1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aretha Franklin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He wrote it, she sang it:

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Billy Preston back in the day says it all:

“I don’t care what they say about Aretha. She can be hiding out in her house in Detroit for years. She can go decades without taking a plane or flying off to Europe. She can cancel half her gigs and infuriate every producer and promoter in the country. She can sing all kinds of jive-ass songs that are beneath her. She can go into her diva act and turn off the world. But on any given night, when that lady sits down at the piano and gets her body and soul all over some righteous song, she’ll scare the shit out of you. And you’ll know—you’ll swear—that she’s still the best fuckin’ singer this fucked-up country has ever produced.”

Fred siegle, qtlaw, TigerVols and 2 others like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But doesn't it seem that all their screw-ups involve Dems or people of color? You would think they would screw up and make Republicans look bad just as often.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They do not need to make republicans look bad, those assclowns can just stand on a street corner and they could fuck up the universe.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's a reason for that.

They talk TO Republicans.
    They talk ABOUT Democrats.

Thus, any graphic is likely to depict some Democrat they're screeching about.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Or Obama’s Inaguration.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You're 100 times more likely to see the screwup if it involves Dems or people of color because people on the left will tweet the hell out of it. I assume they screw up with Republicans, too, but no one cares.

As far as TV graphics go, always assume it's a screwup made by a kid 6 months out of college. I once got a map from my art department that put Phoenix in the middle of New Mexico. The station was in Phoenix.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Was it her?

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

And on this date in 1938, blues legend Robert Johnson died.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just because we're sj.com: 20 years ago we lost Jim Murray.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Like most people my age and background, this was my first introduction to Aretha. So thankful for it.

Just watched her performance at the Kennedy Center for Carol King.

Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted