1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Your Readers On-line or in Print?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What does that tell us when print is winning? I think newspapers panicked in thinking about the allegedly scary future. If only older boomers are reading print, then we should have catered to those boomers. Maybe we'd have started a revolution in which when people finally "grew up" and became responsible adults they'd also read a newspaper. I know. I know. There's no time to read a newspaper. Well there's no time to read an online story either. And certainly no businesses are advertising online. I realize it's way too late. The business has finally been totally taken over by folks who laugh at the print product and are only into online and are patiently waiting for the muckety-muck CEOs to finally kill the print product completely. Fredrick gets it. I don't need a reality check. I'm just saying, MISTAKE MISTAKE MISTAKE and ultimately everybody will be out of a job, even the rich 9 to 5 execs at newspapers all because the only way to make money on news is with the old model. Print ads.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I think it tells us that places in the Midwest are slower to change whereas metropolitan areas along the coasts are much quicker to adapt. Slower pace of life, newspapers still work. Faster pace of life, newspapers die quicker. Ultimately, the next generation will kill newspapers off entirely as they'll grow up reading electronically delivered news. I think it tells us that I'm simply in a position and place that is not as quick to change as others. Beyond that, all newspapers still will die.

3. Fredrick

[QUOTE="Doc Holliday, post: 4217115, member: 35179"Ultimately, the next generation will kill newspapers off entirely as they'll grow up reading electronically delivered news.[/QUOTE]
    Nobody's going to be reading any news. The way for somebody to make money in the future is build the next, better Twitter. All people want are 150 characters reporting the news in that frame. Look, no advertisers are ever going to support newspaper websites. Companies have their own websites and are not interested in advertising, period. Individuals 50 and up still LOVE newspapers. Companies decided rather than to take their money and take advertisers money they'd give up and go after the younguns online. Face facts. Those younguns don't give a shit. They will not support an online product. The only people left are those 50 and up who want newspapers desperately. But even they are dropping their subscriptions cause prices keep going up and there's nothing in there to read as newspapers are maybe 10 pages total now compared to 40 when they were younger. Once the crossword puzzle is gone, the newspapers' death will finally be upon us. Even the oldsters will finally give up.

4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

How do you get the news from Twitter without reading?

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Why don't you take out a loan and buy a newspaper if you know so much better than everybody else how to make the finances work?

Fredrick likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Who are you arguing with? Face facts? WTF. I never said anything remotely close to this reply. I know newspapers are dead. Do you read or do you just preach?

7. Fredrick

I read your posts and enjoy them. They are very informative to me.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Fredrick

Can I get one for 100,000 bucks?

Draft saved Draft deleted