1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you where you deserve to be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Nov 27, 2008.

?

Forget "Are you where you want to be" - "Are you at the level you deserve to be at?"

1. Yes, I'm at the level I should be at.

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. No, I'm lower than I should be.

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. No, I'm higher than I should be.

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Leave me alone, dammit!

It's a poorly worded question. Nobody deserves to work for the Plain-Dealer, but by golly someone has to work there and one of those someones should be me, dammit!

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Well, I am queen of the universe. So it's hard to complain.

3. B.J. Penn

B.J. Penn Guest

That's the MFing truth.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I've never liked the word "deserve"

There are a lot of great people in this business who needed a big element of luck to get where they are, whether it's a key person leaving at a certain time and there are plenty of extremely talented people who never got their shot because of bad timing.

My second internship came about only after the two people who were supposed to be their summer interns failed to show up. They called me and told me I had to be there in 48 hours if I wanted to do it.

My first job out of school? The same paper. No luck there since I rocked my internship... :)

I got my first big promotion when one baseball writer quit and another couldn't move up because his wife was having a difficult pregnancy and couldn't do the required travel.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The third option?

6. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I must be higher than I should be. Thanks.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm exactly where I deserve to be, stuck in nowhere Alabama while I finish my degree. Had I used my brain in my teens and early 20s, I would have finished college the first time and who knows. As it stands, I screwed up and I've been paying (making up) for it the past two years with 18-hour work/school days and learning to live on power naps.

Then again, I'm exactly two weeks from having said degree in hand, so.....life could be a helluva lot worse.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Deserve and should are both hot-to-touch words. Life is not lived on one track, and when competing interests come into play, choices are made that can stop or aid the career momentum. My most recent move was a step back in title to a destination that fits the Editudes' life at this point. And I'm fine with it.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I have no doubt there are a few folks on this thread who have the talent and the drive to be somewhere "bigger" and "better" than they are now.

I also have no doubt there are more folks on this thread who just aren't as good in real life as they are in their own minds.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm where I want to be, and that's the most important thing. It's up to the folks who do the hirin' and firin' to determine whether I "deserve" be be here or at a bigger/smaller paper.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's hard to go lower than unemployed.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm quite possibly the oldest first lieutenant the Army has ever seen. So, lower, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted