1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you where you deserve to be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Nov 27, 2008.

?

Forget "Are you where you want to be" - "Are you at the level you deserve to be at?"

1. Yes, I'm at the level I should be at.

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. No, I'm lower than I should be.

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. No, I'm higher than I should be.

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I'll be honest. I am nowhere near where I think I should be. And by that, I mean employed.

I worked my ass off, for years, getting paid nothing or next to nothing. And it got me nothing. Well, not nothing, I have the respect of men that I would go to war for. That in itself is worth it. But sadly, now I have to start all over.

2. I'm probably higher than where I should be. But I also did my share of time lower than I probably should have been. And it took a couple major career gambles and a ton of elbow grease to get where I am now.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I should be in the Majors but my high school coach had it in for me and the local sportswriter didn't cover me enough. So I'll say no.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

awesome.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

"You are what your record says you are." -- Bill Parcells

In other words, we all are where we deserve to be...based on the choices we've made, the ability we've demonstrated, the breaks that have gone for or against us and how we have used or reacted to those breaks.

If you think you deserve better than you have, then you've made mistakes and/or bad choices along the way or you're simply not as good as you think you are.
    If you think you're in a better situation that you deserve, then you've underestimated yourself.

Like it or not, people, we are where we are because that is the level we have achieved.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

For a cranky ol' man, you make sense sometimes, spnited. ;)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not cranky tonight. That's why I'm making sense.

;D

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

9. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Bill Munny's line is what I tell a lot of parents and coaches. He's right. "Deserve" is such a loaded word.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not to argue the sentiment, which I can understand and appreciate...but this is simply not true in many cases, especially these days, and in the current job climate.

Something -- i.e. the level of work you've achieved, or not -- may, indeed, have occurred and be a reality in one's life. But that doesn't necessarily mean they deserve it.

And that goes for better, or for worse, for higher, or for lower.

11. [​IMG]

Not hardly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted