1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you smarter than Mrs. B's students?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Birdscribe, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Exactly, grades are just given out to kids based on things like past performance or family name or the fact that they sort of maybe try hard. At the end of high school I was able to cruise when I felt like it because I was well-known as a good student, therefore I could turn in shit and still get an A my senior year. I rarely did it, but I knew I had that luxury. It's a little different in college, but not much. When I studied in London all the English profs railed about how easily A's are given out in America. I got my worst GPA over there and it was completely deserved, all I wanted to do was travel and see Europe, homework be damned. However, had I been at my regular school I'm sure that a few of those grades would have been bumped up a half a letter grade or so.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I answered WITHOUT looking it up. I still haven't, and now I have this horrible fear that I'm incorrect.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I once had a college professor give me a "B++" because he knew my mother and knew she would hit the roof if I made a regular B. I told him it was OK, that I was a big girl and could handle getting the B.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Eli Whitney did invent the cotton gin.

My brain has uselessly stored that information for nigh on 30 years now.

5. My two favorite events in history?

The War of Jenkins Ear.
    The Defenestration of Prague.

My two favorite names in US history?

1) Elihu Root.
    2) Thurlow Weed.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

The cotton gin? Isn't that, like, the place where, like, the fat girls buy all their, like, flannel?

Totally.

Whatever.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The whole cotton gin thing is important because it kept that whole slavery thing alive and well in this country for another 70 years.....but who needs history?

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Well, at least I know I'm not a complete fool. Sometimes.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Two words: teachers union

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thank you for missing the point completely.

Knowing something about the economic nature of the slavery debate in this country is extremely important.

Knowing who invented the fucking cotton gin is trivia.

But guess which goes on the test?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To quote the Simpsons (I know, blasphemy)...

Just say slavery.

Draft saved Draft deleted