1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you personally connected to the Iraq and Afgan Wars?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 15, 2007.

?

How close is the war to you, personaly?

1. I personally knew someone who was killed in Iraq or Afganistan

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. I personally know someone who was wounded in Iraq or Afganistan

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. I personally know someone who has or is serving in Iraq or Afganistan

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  4. I personally know the spouce, child or parent of someone serving in Iraq or Afganistan

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  5. I have a close family member who has served or is serving in Iraq or Afganistan

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. I personally don't know of anyone who has served in Iraq or Afganistan

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. I served or am serving

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. lono

lono Active Member

As much as stuff like praying with the local team raises my journalistic hackles, no one in their right mind would find what you did even remotely objectionable.

Good for you!

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

All of the first five options.

Had a friend die in the war last summer, one injured a few months ago, have friends currently serving and one family member (distant cousin). Right now, I think I know of 15-20 of my friends who are over there and 5-10 more who will be shipped out in the coming months.

One of my friends just came back and has been home for 13 days now. I still have yet to see him, but I'm hoping we can get together before he has to go back.

3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

This thread shows that maybe there isn't as much of a disconnect as is believed — at least among sportswriters, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted