1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you personally connected to the Iraq and Afgan Wars?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 15, 2007.

?

How close is the war to you, personaly?

1. I personally knew someone who was killed in Iraq or Afganistan

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. I personally know someone who was wounded in Iraq or Afganistan

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. I personally know someone who has or is serving in Iraq or Afganistan

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  4. I personally know the spouce, child or parent of someone serving in Iraq or Afganistan

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  5. I have a close family member who has served or is serving in Iraq or Afganistan

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. I personally don't know of anyone who has served in Iraq or Afganistan

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. I served or am serving

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It is said and written that given the all volunteer Armed Forces and the regional disparity of the members of the Armed Forces, that most Americans are removed from any real connection to servicemen and women in harms way.

A friend of mine's husband just came back from Iraq last month, and now she's been notified that she'll probably do a tour in "The Sandbox" starting in July.

I lost a friend to wounds sustained in a roadside bomb about 2 years ago, and I know at least 2 women who have or had son's serve in combat.

I was wondering if I'm the exception to the rule or do you guys know folks over there?

I think you can vote for each option that applies.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't. I wonder how much of it is that most of my friends are college-educated, and many view the military nowadays as simply a way to escape poverty. (That's the view a lot of people I know have, anyway.)

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

How about an option for someone who is/has served there?

4. KG

KG Active Member

Most of the commercials talk about getting money for college (insinuating they are targeting people who cannot afford it) and we have people who want to be president who open their mouth and insert both feet deeply by saying degrading things about the men in our military.

5. heyabbott

Done.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you!

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

All five of the first five options.
    My brother is an Army Ranger. I've come to know some of the wives and families of guys who've been killed or injured in his unit. Their examples of grace and sacrifice under hardship are extraordinary.

8. heyabbott

From my experience with the soldiers I know and talk to, the idea that the Armed Forces is made up of kids escaping poverty is completely false. Solidly middle class, certainly not the East Coast suburban view of the middle class but definitely the Southern and Fly-Over variety.

The demographics of the soldiers, both killed and serving, is no where near the imbalance of the Vietnam era.

Poor leadership is killing the backbone of this country

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

My experience, too.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

My brother left for his second tour in Iraq 2 weeks ago. Although we're not particularly close and have wildly differing political views, I'm very proud of him. My parents worry a lot. Nice thread.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

A buddy from college e-mailed me this morning and said he is in Kuwait awaiting his Freedom Bird to bring him home.
    Other than that, I've only met some people that have come back. Though a co-worker's brother just got back and I did a story on a coach that was sent to Iraq.

Draft saved Draft deleted