1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you looking for the job that isn't advertised?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I applied for a job that was posted and didn't get it ... but another opening came about at that paper immediately, and I took that job. So mine was sorta posted and sorta unposted. Definitely, the job boards aren't the only way to go. Network, network, network. Meet as many editors as you can. Send a clip from time to time. How do you think you get editors compile a list of who they'd like to hire when they have openings?

2. Hudson_Hawk

Hudson_Hawk New Member

This is one of the best topics I've seen on here recently. Useful for applicants and editors alike.

Networking is key. The more editors who become familiar with your work the better and vice-versa.

When I was hired for my current job, my editor, through networking on his staff, had my resume and work samples on file. When the position opened up, he had a good handful of applicants to choose from, and he didn't have to post. Many of his subsequent hires, on the writing staff or the desk, went through the same process. That's why he seemed to make good hires in each instance.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is why you need to keep good relations with someone, anyone, at each place you work. You never know when the connection will pay off. I got one job when a friend called while I was covering an NFL exhibition game, I called the SE at halftime and had an interview two days later. Other jobs can happen through ads, but that's becoming less the case, particularly as the stakes (and circulations) are raised.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's how I got a job at the last gig... SE called me up, said they interviewed one candidate and before he hit the elevator, the EE turned to him and said "Call Slappy, and see what he wants..."

Draft saved Draft deleted