1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a workaholic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Mar 16, 2007.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Huntise, First why do you want to fix it? Is it because you know you are ruining your family, or you think you are?
    My point being, if you're happy as a workaholic and the family has accepted it, then be fine with it. Like some have said, if it works for you stay with it.
    If everyone is happy now, don't bother. If you cut back your work time, you become miserable and in turn so does the family. Makes a situation worse.
    Sure you could take up a hobby to replace the work, but the problem there is if you enjoy the hobby it begins to consume you it's no different then work. You'll spend the extra time at the hobby instead of with the family.
    If instead you promised to spend the extra time with your family, then that may be different. I don't know what your work schedule is like...mine's is still 2 ish to midnight. But if you can take a few hours take the family to a movie or to a park, or something. Change the time at work to time with them.

One of the news guys I used to work with had pressed and pressed to have his job changed (he was a 2-midnight) due to pressure from his wife, as they only saw each other about 2 days a week.
    He finally worked it out where he got off around 7. One month later, he was filing for divorce.
    I'm just saying...Make sure it's what you want before you change. A change in the family dynamic is often worse than no change.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You sleep 40 hours a week? How do even function on that. And why if you're only working 40 hours?

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

joe's a wise man.

I think one of the reasons my marriage is as good as it is, is because we know we just have four pockets of time each week to spend together: Saturday and Sunday during the day, and my two nights off.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This business just seems to attract workaholics, just as it attracts complainaholics. (Myself included.) And at a lot of smaller papers, you've got to be a workaholic or things just won't get done.

I'm with the "what's the problem" crew here. It may not always be fun, but I definitely get satisfaction out of knowing I've flat busted my ass for a story or a special section or just a week of work.

Of course, I'm pretty young. Check back with me in 30 years, and I may have a different perspective.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Work IS my "hobbie." Not sad, but true.

Edit: adds quotes so I don't look like the....

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Is that the Canadian spelling of hobby?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I worked way too hard during my first two years in the business. Now, I work hard and work until the job is done, but I seldom go over 45 hours a week at my current gig. My SE does a good job of spreading the work load around for the rest of us, though he probably works 60 hours a week.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I would have guessed "houbby"

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

I work 50+ hours a week, because that's what it takes to get the job done. I can only turn in 45 on my time card, because we're only allowed 10 hours OT each pay period. I looked for ways to cut the time down, but I really haven't found any. I don't know if I could do justice to the job working less. I can't help you, I probably need your help.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

if you're good in this biz, you're a workaholic. it sure ain't about the money. but you can be a "workaholic" -- which to me simply means dedicated to making your work the best it can be -- without making your personal life suffer. really, you can.

when you can't balance your act, though, then you're asking for trouble. i can't say i know the solution. just that you'd better find one. even when i was least happy with my work situation, i never let it affect my life with mrs. shockey and the boys.

if your workaholic ways are messing with your personal life, you've got issues to deal with.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Show me a workaholic, and I'll show you somebody who lacks self-esteem and their own value.

If it is a question of "getting ahead", you probably aren't going to do it putting in extra work where you work now. You would be better taking that extra time and concentrating on making contacts, writing a book, starting a business plan, or something away from your job which would help your career instead of helping your publisher get by in a cheaper manner and donating your time, talent and labor to a chain which couldn't give a damn about you.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Uh, spend time with your family?

Draft saved Draft deleted