1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are white shirts really that "dressy"???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 1, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Absolutely, a sports writer in a suit always looks overdressed.
    A white shirt is indeed classy, but curiously, white pants generally are not. White shoes should be eschewed unless you are Billy Johnson or Joe Namath.

2. I don't know, white or blue shirt + khakis makes me feel like I should be passing out stat sheets at the NCAA Tournament.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But off-white bucks are perfectly acceptable from Easter through Labor Day.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

White shirt, khakis and a blue blazer is about the perfect combo for almost any event.
    I'm not Esquire's fashion editor by any stretch, but I've always thought it worked.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed. It worked when I was a kid and it still works now.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think blue shirt and khakis can give you that dreaded Blockbuster Video clerk look, unless you preppy it up with penny loafers and a grosgrain belt, but I think you're off-base about the white shirt and khakis falling into that category.

7. Now I'd have to see it. I'm somewhat khaki averse, because that's what everyone in the 16-24 demo wears to play "dress-up."

But you seem to know of what you speak.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Put away your blue button down Oxford cloth shirts. That's right out of the 80's.

A white shirt is for dressing up. It just looks wrong with khakhis.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Maybe we should all dress like we work at Blockbuster, one of the few businesses as guaranteed to fail as ours is.

You think we bitch about the internet? You don't even want to see videostoreclerks.com

Draft saved Draft deleted