1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we speaking the same language?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They should've posed the question, "What machine do you withdraw money from?"

ATM
    Tyme Machine
    Cash Station

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Except it's "whipping." What do you call it?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My answer would be A) "I have no term or expression for this."

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hence the name.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

one more geographical word difference: i spent my life going to carvei for a vanilla cone with SPRINKLES.' on my first cape cod vacation, te ice scream joints called sprinkles 'jimmies.' another geographical difference: 'ketchup vs. cats-up.' 'uncomftable' vs. 'uncomfert-ahbull'

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Growing up in New Jersey, we always called them "MAC machines," since the first ones were called "Money Access Centers."

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another one is any soft drink in the south is called a "Coke." Took me a couple of years to figure that one out when I went away to college.
    Friend: You want a Coke?
    Me: Sure, that sounds fine.
    Friend: OK, we've got Coke, Diet Coke or Mountain Dew.
    Me: <confused silence>

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't know if that was one of the 100 or so other questions that were asked they didn't post. They were only given permission to put up 22 of the 122+ questions the professor who did the study asked. (or axed - depending on where you're from)

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty interesting the sandwich one had the whole country pretty dark red for subs, with the exception of Pennsylvania and their hoo-oh-gies. I bet there would have been more color on that map 20 or 30 years ago, but I suspect the proliferation of Subway and other national chain sandwich shops kind of universalized that one.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. That used to be a real regional difference, but I think Subway's popularity has single-handedly changed that.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wasn't it actually hoagies/subs/heros/gyros not so long ago?

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Don't forget grinders.

Draft saved Draft deleted