1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Are we raising a generation of nature-phobic kids?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A good tent and proper sleeping gear are much more comfortable than a cabin or those platform tents, says this urban sybarite.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Moonshine for me. Tastes rustic.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I still spend about 30 nights per year in the woods between hunting and hiking. In my 20s, it was weeklong hiking trips into the backcountry. Wouldn't see another person for days.

Now I appreciate the comforts of a cabin or a small camper - especially for summer trips where nighttime temps are still above 80. Plus my wife's idea of "roughing" it is there not being a coffee maker or hair dryer. The kiddo and I spent a few spring nights out in her treehouse. That was awesome. Can't wait to do it again in the fall.

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

It's mostly Trump supporters.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I know how to get my kids to go outside any time day or night -- leave the door to the back yard open for 5 seconds.

7. Earthman

Inky not picking on you but part of the problem is parents need to have a list
    to get kids outside instead of using their own instincts. Lists are everywhere...
    How to have a memorable 12 yr old birthday party, how to properly eat pizza,
    What to do with your kids on a rainy day......think for yourselves people.

8. Inky_Wretch

I don't know if parents need lists to do things or if websites need lists to get clicks.

9. Earthman

That's fair. It seems like most of the lists are done by mothers with too much time on their hands.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I was a child, my parents would just say 'Get out of the house! Go outside!'

No actually related, but I had a friend whose father was really goofy. Embarrassed my friend, but we all thought he was a riot.
    We'd stop by the house to get my friend, and his father would answer the door.
    'We'd say 'Hey, Dr. X, is Dooby here?'
    And he'd say 'He's gone to seek sanctuary in that great refuge of youth known as 'out.''
    The guy was just a nut in the coolest way.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One of the last Cub Scout "campouts" we did was on a retired WWII battleship. Plop your sleeping bag on a paper-thin Navy cot and prepare to get no sleep as even the slightest noise echoes halfway across the Gulf of Mexico. Gave me an extra bit of appreciation for the Greatest Generation at least.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I had Costa Rican coffee out on the patio at daybreak this morning. If I closed my eyes I could practically hear the howler monkeys.

Draft saved Draft deleted