1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we ignoring New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubba Fett, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

New Orleans is always in the hunt for murder capital of the nation.
    But Sue was talking about per month, which would be through the roof.
    However, since he has since pointed out, he was talking about death rate, not murder rate.
    The estimated national death rate of the U.S. for 2006 was 8.26 per 1,000.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

If you want to ruin your night, perhaps your week, and quite probably your 2007, google "Helen Hill" and "Paul Gailiunas," the couple depicted as Murder No. 12 in the TP graphic. That's about as sad and senseless as death gets.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Agreed.

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I haven't forgotten New Orleans. In fact, I'm still trying to get a job there.

Yeah, the murders are frightening. The numbers are high, especially for a city that had a chance to clean its image after most of the bad eggs left the city, especially for a city that still has the national guard (or at least troops) helping the city.

But the numbers are the same as before. Fewer murders now because fewer people. But the ratio is the same. And most are happening in the same part of town as before, with the occasional crazy homicides taking place in the good parts of town.

But it's still a great city. I have not forgotten you.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's like a funner, more charming Camden, NJ.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Damn, this thread is more naive than the Blood Diamond bullshit.

People in this city were killing each other long before Katrina. The media ignored it.

They're going to keep killing each other, and the media are going to keep ignoring it.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The thing about the doctor and his wife, both Harvard graduates, is chilling. Dude worked as a physician for the poor. What the hell happened? Saddest and most bizarre murder I've heard of in a long time. In Cold Blood type of stuff.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There's no way this is going to catch on as a story nationally because we in the media have been guilt-tripped into pulling punches because of Katrina. Telling the truth about New Orleans has been politically incorrect since the allegations that all-powerful humans allowed the city to flood in the name of killing black people. Never mind the fact that whites were killed at a higher rate than any other ethnic group in the area.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

"What the New Orleans Saints are doing right now is really turning this city upside down. Just really reaffirms your hope in humanity."

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I read a story in Time a while back about the surge in violence in New Orleans. The story quoted some cops there and they were attributing the upswing to the fact that many of the gang members had been displaced and there was a power struggle ongoing as the gang members who remained fought for position.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Josephine Street (Nos. 5 and 11) is one of those incredible streets in New Orleans.

South of St. Charles, there are quaint and beautiful B&B's and other homes cloaked in serenity.

Go north of the street car line, though.... all bets are off

Draft saved Draft deleted