1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we ignoring New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubba Fett, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I check out nola.com just about every day and what's happening in New Orleans, in terms of the daily murders, is simply frightening.

The national media stopped by for the one-year anniversary of Katrina, but I haven't heard anything since.

Here's a graphic of the recent killings from the Times-Picayune's site:

[​IMG]

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's good to see the people of New Orleans are getting back to their normal lives.

3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

I bet these guys could help clean up that town

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Funny you mentioned this. Last night at work we were talking about life in Iraq and how everyone there must wonder if today might be their last.

But then a guy at work does some research. Apparently there are 57 civilian deaths per 100,000 people in Iraq in a month (I think). And there were five or six American cities, including New Orleans, with a higher rate using the same numbers.

How right he was, I don't know. Where he got the info, I don't know.

He just passed me the list. I was busy working.

But if the numbers were right, it's strange the media wouldn't make more of the deaths in America.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

New Orleans has had a high murder rate for a long time, but a murder rate that high would definitely be news. I'm not sure how he was doing his figuring, but there are not 57 homicides per 1,000 people per month in New Orleans.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The main places in Iraq that have a high civilian death rate are those places (such as around Baghdad) where there is a volatile mix of Shia and Sunni populations. Thus if you discard the population of Iraq as a whole and just account for the population of Baghdad and other flash points, the death rate per 100,000 is much, much greater.

In more homogenous places like Anbar, the only ones dying seem to be our boys.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Buck.

I thought the same thing. Which partly why I didn't listen too intently to the other guy at work. I just passed it off as a guy who was making something out of nothing.

8. The death rate for US soldiers serving in Iraq is lower than the death rate for black males under 30 who live in Philadelphia.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Maybe some of those bodies are the hundreds of thousands who were killed in the flooding during Katrina's aftermath.

Oh wait, that was simply the media fucking up the facts and the tally. My bad.

I'm sure the corrections for those articles will be moving any day now.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

This (I think) is what the guy work was taking numbers from:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/5/29/132706.shtml

It's just simply civilian deaths per 100,000 people. Period.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

According to FBI figures, there were 56 murders for every 100,000 people in New Orleans in 2004. That's an extremely high murder rate--about eight times the murder rate in NYC. The numbers you are seeing in New Orleans today are not starkly out of whack with how bad things were prior to Katrina, which is why this is sort of a non-story outside of La. In absolute terms, the number of murders will actually be significantly lower than in the past, but that is because there are far fewer people living there.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And then there's the ancillary violence that followed the transplants to other cities ...

Draft saved Draft deleted