1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we allowed to talk about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Blockchain is the tech, and Bitcoin is one of the 'companies' in that market.

In late '70s-early '80s term, their all home computers, and Commodore 64 and the Apple IIe are different types of home computer.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's slightly inaccurate. The technology of blockchain isn't limited to cryptocurrencies. The latter is using the former, which is a core technology, to create a new product, and Bitcoin is brand name in that product market. In your analogy, blockchain is like computing in general, cryptocurrencies are home computers, and Bitcoin is Apple IIe.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bitcoin isn't a company. Think of it as an asset or a commodity. Except that it is a digital commodity (one of many based on blockchain technology), which is why it is confusing to people. The blockchain technology is key to how bitcoins are created and how they get stored and exchanged. They get "mined" via the use of computer processing power. I can sort of explain the process, but it will be confusing. But the bitcoin protocol itself specifies that the reward for adding a block (you create blocks, which then get added to the previous block, thus. ... a blockCHAIN) gets halved every time 210,000 blocks are created, meaning that it requires more and more processing power to get the reward, and eventually the reward for creating a block will decrease to zero -- it is limited to 21 million bitcoins, which will be reached around 2140.

In any case, the bitcoins already mined can be traded -- for example, you can trade dollars for them, if you do it via an exchange. The value, like anything else, would be based on supply and demand, at least theoretically. Bitcoins themselves can be exchanged peer to peer, so they don't require intermediaries. The transactions themselves are verified through cryptography (making the transactions untraceable) and then get recored in the blockchain (which is a ledger).

As a speculative vehicle, the reason it is open to manipulation (although I hate the term, because this is what buyers and sellers of assets do; prices are fungible) is that it is a relatively small asset class, so even though a frenzy developed around it, it really is kind of a thinly traded vehicle. Which creates opportunity for people looking to push the price around.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I love how, nearly a half-decade after this thread began, we're still debating the basic question of WTF bitcoin "is".

Years of discussing this shit and people still don't know what the thing is that they're buying. That alone tells me to stay out of this stuff.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wonder how Dick Whitman"s investment is going.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I wonder how much daily mental energy is expended by smart people trying to turn a cheap buck on nonsense like this. Not to mention how much societal good is wasted by that energy instead not going toward pursuits in science, medicine or other areas that might actually help others.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Why is it nonsense?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good distinction

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Because, as far as I can tell, it represents an immeasurable amount of energy and thought invested toward nothing. At least nothing that is real, nothing that serves a genuine societal purpose, nothing that helps anyone other than bitcoin holders during the times when its price happens to be rising--just another abstract device created so that gamblers disguised as investors can wager bets on it.

Greater picture wise, it just strikes me as a colossal waste of energy and thought that could instead go toward something meaningful.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know. I was trying use a very simple analogy.
    JustGladToBeHere clarified and improved the analogy, and kept it simple.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is because it has become a virtual commodity, which is kind of goofy.
    But the original germ of the idea is currency.

Draft saved Draft deleted