1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Pro Football Mock "Facebook" posts acceptable for general consumption?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So you would be OK with him railing on you out for, say, misspelling a name in a headline?

He works there. You don't. His bosses set the standards, and you don't control what those standards are. Write an e-mail to the station manager. Write it as a member of the community, not a journalist at a competing news organization. It's not your place to get into a pissing match about standards you have no influence on.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You are missing a big point...my hometown is 8 hours away from where I work. I am not a journalist in a competing news organization when it comes to that station.
    I also did write an email to his boss (who just so happens, I know from when I did live there).
    I added the page to keep up with my hometown sports. So I have nothing in it other than that.
    That's why I don't want to just "move on" as you said. I want to keep up with local sports back home and this is one of the sources to be used.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Still, you are not offended. You're offended for hypothetical sheltered kids who have no impact on you or your life. And it still is not your place to impose standards. You say "You're not Grantland or Deadspin." Well, I bet Grantland and Deadspin have a hell of a lot more readers than this radio station's facebook site, so maybe they want to change their mission. Maybe they want to be edgier.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's up to the radio station to have its own standards for its Facebook page, and I don't expect it would really help the station's fortunes to go with this crude approach even it were a music station catering to adults and having no high school sports. It's the station's own funeral. But bringing up the concern to the station manager is perfectly fine. The continual arguing with the other guy is more a case of, you're really spending that much time you'll never get back on the issue?

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Slightly off-topic, but those mock Facebook posts jumped the shark quickly thanks to the excessive vulgarity.

First one was good. The rest? Blah.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The first one was creative. None were particularly well done.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

On top of which, the whole fake Facebook conversation/status/like thing is way overplayed by now. Now if they had Steve Young and John Elway making fun of Jeff Blake on Prodigy's NFL bulletin board, that'd be worthy of a restrained grunt of bemusement.

Draft saved Draft deleted