1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Pro Football Mock "Facebook" posts acceptable for general consumption?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Nov 27, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Case in point: http://profootballmock.com/nfl-qbs-on-facebook-the-playoff-picture/

Take the line from "Sam Bradford" where he talks about how a tie is like "licking the worm-infested asscrack" of a dog while getting a reach around from an Alzheimer's old man.

So...would you consider this something acceptable for a small town sports talk radio station to post a link of on their facebook page? The town is about 20,000 and the coverage area is about 40,000.

Personally, I find these "QB chats" funny..but I would not post them on a work website. It's more for something like us here or via my personal facebook page.

Here is the exchange I had with the PD of the station via facebook:

Me: "So if I post about "worm-infested ass cracks", and reach arounds on your wall it's alright? That's pretty low class for a professional radio station that probably has lots of kids able to click on that link."

PD: "If you don't like it, there is an UNLIKE button"

Me: "I bet your bosses will love that response. Funny...I don't see [local TV station] or [Podunk News] posting garbage like that. I think it's funny...but not for a sports radio site that should be focusing on local sports."

PD: "Thanks for LISTENING today when the WHOLE HOUR was spent on [new state champ football team], and all of last week was local as well. If you have a problem with the station and the way it's run call our owner or [email him] but maybe you should actually listen to us and LISTEN to local content before calling us out on it."

Me: "This has NOTHING to do with your local show. This has NOTHING to do with how it is run.
    This has EVERYTHING to do with what you are posting on a Facebook page and representing your station with.
    Think of it this way....would you read this link verbatim on the air? Would you make it through without the plug getting pulled?
    I do listen to your show (I'm guessing this is [PD name] posting here) occasionally. [Radio sidekick] was at my wedding reception, I've known him for years when we worked at [local TV station]...I'm a home-grown [Podunk] kid, don't let the Toledo tag on my Facebook profile fool ya.
    Trust me, my e-mail to [General Manager] is already in his inbox.
    You don't seem to understand what I am pointing out. This is a professional facebook page....not your personal page.
    Kids don't need to see that junk. It's hilarious and I may even send it to a few friends for a laugh...but it is not appropriate for a respectable radio station to post. You aren't Grantland or Deadspin. Have some tact.
    Act like a pro, you will be respected like a pro."

PD: "KIDS can find this anywhere (must be 13 to have a FB account) as IT's VERY POPULAR. We are not the only RADIO station posting these conversations. I know for a fact and Sports Talk 1250 WSSP in Milwaukee do the same (November 19th) along with many other radio stations. If you don't like it LEAVE. It's not like we are promoting "babe of the day" (something tells me you wouldn't like that either, and that's very popular on other SPORTS SITES) I also have the power just to kick you out, but I've never had to do that. These conversations have been posted for months and will continue to be posted whether you like it or not. I AM A PRO, so please don't tell me how to do my job, and I wont tell you how to do yours."

----

Now, I'm not even going to bother to respond since the guy just doesn't get it (IMO).
    When EVERYTHING else on their facebook page is about the state title team, where you know parents and players are clicking and liking...why add junk.

I know some edgier talk stations do Babe of the Day and post dirty jokes...and there is very few news organizations around the area (and little in local sports news, hence why I liked them on facebook since they do a lot of local sports....but if you have a limited advertising base for an area of 40K people...why tempt fate?

I'm not a prude (read my posts on here), but there is a difference between your pro FB page and your personal page. This guy doesn't seem to get it.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Are we going to see your call on the "Dimwits" thread? :)

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but like the guy said, if it bothered me, I wouldn't go back to his page.

3. spikechiquet

But see...it's not "HIS" page...it's a ESPN affiliate page...not just his local show's Facebook page (I did not make this clear before).

If it was just his show page...I might be more lenient on the content since it's his name on the show...but when you are representing a radio station that is supposed to be on par in level of sports news as the local paper and TV station? Then you don't act like a clown.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Start a Facebook page to get him fired. It seems to work.

5. spikechiquet

Eh, I just want the kid in charge to be smarter...I don't want to be a dick! LOL

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is that language acceptable for message board consumption?

7. spikechiquet

Fuck if I know.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FUCK!!! I WOULD NEVER SAY FUCK!!!

9. JPsT

JPsT Member

So you're doing this why? Out of concern for the kids who like the page?

10. spikechiquet

Pretty much...I just don't see how you can be such a "rah-rah" station for high school kids, then they turn around and, in a sense, promote this link amongst all the other links for high school sports. Just seemed out of place and unprofessional IMO.
    The fact that he didn't just relent and and instead attacked me about pointing it out shows his lack of class.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The fact that you didn't relent and instead attacked him and his work shows your lack of class.

You're not his boss. Unlike the page. Move on with your life. Your attacks were as rude as your point was right.

12. spikechiquet

Explain to me how he is wrong...yet I should relent?
    BTW, I haven't posted anything back in this exchange since I don't see the need. I made my point and he still went on a snarky attack in another post, making a crack about "I hope I don't offend anyone by posting this."
    I still want to know what is going on in my hometown sports...why should I leave the page and give him the satisfaction?
    It's just a facebook page, I'm not really that riled up about it.
    The guy is a tool. He proved that much to me, but I shouldn't have to leave getting what is 95% of the time a good place to get info for the 5% of shit he doles out. Yeah, I'll deal with it...no biggie. But at least I made my point.

Draft saved Draft deleted