1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are text messages on the record?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ReggieRedbird57, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ReggieRedbird57

ReggieRedbird57 New Member

I do a lot of texting with coaches, players, administrators, etc. Most times, I pick up the phone and talk, but in some cases I text for convenience purposes, especially if it's something quick, easy and non-controversial. If I text, is it on the record? I did this tonight with an athlete regarding recruiting information. At first, I was going to tweet it, but then I asked if that was OK. Are texts on the record? Thoughts? Suggestions? Stories?

Thanks

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

If they know you are a reporter...then it's on the record.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You have to make sure it's worth pissing off a source if they don't know beforehand you're needing their comments for a story.

4. ReggieRedbird57

ReggieRedbird57 New Member

I would never text a source if it is controversial. I always call.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I would say it goes on a case-to-case basis.
    You don't want to print a text that says something like "State liks my stylz and the ppl r kewl, so ill ball for dem nxt yr. :)"

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I want to see that in print so bad now.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You mean "I feel State U likes my ball handling ability, and knowledge of their style. The guys on the team got me drunk on my recruiting trip and a hot chick told me she wanted to date me. With the knowledge I attained there, I have chosen them next season."

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

You have to tread lightly. And yes, be well aware you'll piss off a source if he thinks something is off the record and mere chit-chat between the two of you.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If you're a 15-year old girl, then, yes, text away but if you're going for something that's worth printing in a newspaper, it should be done over the phone.

After all, how can you verify that the person you sent the text to was the person who responded to you? You're just opening up a can of worms that's not worth the trouble to spend three minutes actually talking to the person.

If you're just looking for background info, though, I say it's fine. A direct quote though? Gotta ring 'em up.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

definitely tread lightly there. using a text for background or even something innocent would be fine, but anything more than that would require more. Anything that could be construed as controversial would have to be a phone call at the least, if not in person. If you were tempted to use a text and there are no other options, follo with "can I run this?"

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Text to get a score update or some such simple info...you don't conduct an interview via text message.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is everything everyone says to you on the phone on the record?

Draft saved Draft deleted