1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are slow drivers really inhumane on the road?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love the idea that someone is speeding but has decided that his top speed is the limit by which all other speeders should abide.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And I guarantee he speeds up a little more if someone has the audacity to pass him from the middle or right lane.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Much of Arizona is 75.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Based on the headline to his article, LZ Granderson can fuck off.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hey Starman, was that you in the blue Volvo behind me this morning? :D

I was doing 9 over (64 in a 55) and this dude got right up on my ass. I swear I could not see his headlights. So I slowed down to 40. He didn't take the hint. So I maintained 40 until he could pass, and he's blowing his horn at me as he goes by. Ass clown. I let him pass. What the hell else does he want?

I'm like Brooks. The world done gone and got itself in a big damn hurry. Sorry, but tailgating's dangerous. If they're going to increase the likelihood that they'll rear-end me, I'm going to increase the likelihood that I'll survive the collision.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I did that once just to piss off a guy who had his high beams on when he was 5 feet behind me.

Other than that, it pisses me off when people do it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That is hilarious.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I don't mind those going 80 in the left lane--I can settle in and work with that.

It's the jagoffs going 55 in the left lane that really tick me off. And yes, too often, there's a cell phone involved.

On my rush hour rides home over the Atlanta interstates, I'm more often than not in the right side lanes, and passing the majority of cars. The right lanes are definitely a quicker commute---everyone gets in the left lanes regardless of the speed they're driving. Interesting to note that the morning drive isn't the same--my hypothesis is a lot of the less savvy and experienced drivers are out there in the evening than in the morning.

I've come to the realization that perhaps the best measure of IQ is how people drive. And there are an almost unfathomable number of seemingly mentally retarded people among us.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Problem is that when you get your Driver's license, they give you an eye test but nobody has to take an IQ test.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't mind slow in the left lane as long as they're leaving room to get by. It's when you have two lanes and the two cars occupying them in front of you go the same speed and you're blocked in. Reminds me every time that I'm a carrier for road rage. I get almost as angry about that as I do being tailgated.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There is a courtesy, at least around these parts, to slide over if possible and allow merging traffic an easier path onto the highway. Some of the on ramps are old and short around here, so in some places it can literally be a life saver.
    However, there is one spot where I hate to give up ground that scares the ever-living shit out of me. It's where there's a lane merging from the left, with two existing lanes on the right. The far right lane disappears a mile or two up the road (turns into an exit lane), so I usually stay in the left lane. People come flying off the highway from the left, though, and every time I'm convinced they're just going to keep on merging over. If I ever die in a car wreck, there's about an 80 percent chance it'll happen in that spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted