1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are retail jobs going the way of farming and manufacturing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 23, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But the market decided that, right? Jobs were salvaged because they remained valuable - more valuable than the technology replacing them. If that is the case, by all means the jobs should remain.

Your anecdote is, however, an interesting counter to any argument that the near-complete fade of retail positions is inevitable.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Boy does that article bother me. This quote ...

... is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because it's not a vicious cycle. It's a virtuous cycle. We're all better off for it.

This is not Chicago School. It's not Austrian School. It's Truth School. In a world of unlimited wants and limited resources, the ability to satisfy an equivalent set of wants with fewer resources (or alternatively, to satisfy a larger set of wants with an equivalent amount of resources) is a wonderful thing.

5. cranberry

You mean lining the pockets of college professors!

Seriously, if that student debt winds up on the income statement of a wealthier person or an institution aren't those dollars more likely to be parked somewhere?

So there's no tipping point? Workers making 21 cents an hour in Bangladesh is desirable? How about if we can get people to work for a meal or shelter? That would be terrific, right?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

cran, The standard of living in Bangladesh has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 20 years.

[​IMG]

The people in Bangladesh don't complain about those low-paying factory jobs, because it has made their lives better relative to where they were. And their standard of living continues to steadily catch up to the western world. What you see as having hurt them, has actually helped them -- relative to where they were.

As their standard of living increases, it comes out of our standard of living -- which is the real issue most Americans have. It is something most Americans don't want to accept. That it is a zero sum game.

Decide what you think is a reasonable wage and standard of living for a worker in Bangladesh. Mandate it. Bypass what the labor market determines is a fair wage and put in a price floor on wages. I'll skip the inefficiencies of those kinds of policies -- how it will force jobs elsewhere. Let's say in some fairy tale land, that wouldn't be the effect. It means, that people in Bangladesh will come closer to living as we do in the U.S. . ... but at the same time, people in the U.S. will have to come closer to living as people in Bangladesh currently live.

We can outsource manufacturing to other places, and the low wages actually improve their quality of life. Just having the factories built there means jobs and an economy that didn't exist. And with that comes modern amenities that improve lives -- across the board. We've seen that.

But increase those wages above a market equilibrium out of a sense of humanitarianism (and not based on what the market bears), and it means things have to cost more in the U.S. and Europe. And that means your dollar doesn't go as far, and your standard of living decreases to support the increase in theirs.

That affects the poorest people here, because they are the ones who no longer get cheap goods that make their relatively low wages (by U.S. standards) stretch far enough.

It would be self-imposed inflation that voluntarily drags the western world down to benefit the developing world.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To echo Ragu's point -- WTF DID I JUST SAY THAT?!?! -- I went to a big tech awards thing last year where the main honoree was the founder of Infosys, the Indian company that basically created the concept of outsourcing. In addition to the jobs created, the man has donated a significant portion of his wealth to especially impoverished areas of his home country. He has singlehandedly saved, prolonged or improved billions of lives.

The gap between the haves and have-nots is disturbing in this country. But a have-not here is usually a have scaled against most of the world.

8. cranberry

Workers in Bangladesh aren't complaining?

http://www.globallabourrights.org/alerts?id=0384

I guess they just don't seem so grateful for our benevolence.

Also, labor markets (or any other market) don't determine fairness; they reflect leverage of the powerful over the less powerful that is wielded as ruthlessly as laws will allow. There's a big fucking difference.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There are a few hundred Bangladeshi factory workers whose quality of life recently took a sharp turn for the worse thanks to low-paying factory jobs. But I guess that's part of the cost of progress, just like workers who get made obsolete and have to stress about putting food on the table.

Your whole argument assumes infinite resources, not to mention inherent Western superiority. Your previous efforts to disprove an argument about central planning that I wasn't making ignored that part of my question, so I'll ask again: Why do you assume that the Western world will always be the ones benefiting from Bangladeshi death traps?

10. The Big Ragu

Do you realize how poor Bangladesh has always been, and how much relatively LESS poor it is today as a result of those manufacturing jobs?

No one is arguing that Bangladesh isn't poor. No one is arguing that the factory accidents are good thing.

Now rather than the misplaced indignation at what I stated, how about looking at where Bangladesh was in 1990 relative to where it is now? Which is what I did.

I stated that it has benefited from those low paying jobs -- which didn't even exist. And it's gains come out of the Westernized world's standard of living because it is largely a zero sum game.

Any response to those facts?

It's just a fact that income per capita in Bangladesh has more than tripled since 1990, life expectancy has increased by 10 years and literacy rates have jumped dramatically.

Most people actually would call that progress.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21565617-bangladesh-has-dysfunctional-politics-and-stunted-private-sector-yet-it-has-been-surprisingly

http://www.economist.com/blogs/feastandfamine/2012/11/bangladesh

11. cranberry

Let's all take a minute and pat ourselves on the back.

12. The Big Ragu

I also can't respond to this. I didn't say any of that. Not even sure what you mean. Infinite resources? Western superiority? Can you first explain what you mean by that, and then show me where I posted anything like that? Also, I have no idea what you mean by, "Why do you assume that the Western world will always be the ones benefiting from Bangladeshi death traps?" I'm not sure what it even means, let alone what I assumed anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted