1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are mainstream media members naturally so liberal it creates bias?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Interesting Twitter thread from Ross Douthat on how the media exercised restraint on viral videos regarding late-term abortions in ways that it did not regarding the Covington kids.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think we've reached a point where every reporter is injecting their opinion into their Twitter feeds. Objective "reporting" on either side is rendered useless when the "objective" reporter adds his or her opinion on the matter. It's frustrating.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd also say most objective reporters are also pretty liberal/progressive on top of it.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If reporters are “liberal” or “progressive” or whatever, it’s because in the process of their reporting careers they routinely see the problems of the unvarnished world rather than the propaganda being handed out by dip wads like Ross Douthat trying to obscure the view of that reality.

X-Hack likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this. In the last newsroom I worked in, it was basically a bunch of folks who voted democrat, and an opinion editor who was a Reagan republican who has now turned into a Rick-Wilson type never Trumper.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Nothing Ross Douthat says is ever interesting, even as a thought experiment.

FileNotFound and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Or perhaps the profession attracts a lot of people predisposed toward a way of thinking. How many people in the generation before mine read All the President's Men, and set out to do exposes, not necessarily giving fair coverage to those in power? I am not saying that is necessarily a bad thing (wanting to focus on exposes) for what it is worth.

This isn't a new thing. There are some reporters who are biased, and those biases can show up in all kinds of ways from how they report something to what they even choose to report. There are others who work diligently to keep any biases from creeping into their work. I think it is dangerous when people start doing the, "Is the mainstream media too liberal / biased?" thing, because just like in all kinds of things, there are some people who do a good job and others who don't. When those kinds of broad brush statements get thrown around as loosely as they are today, you actually perpetuate a false perception, and it is one step away from the "enemy of the people" crap it inevitably leads to. People -- consumers of news -- need to evaluate the track records of the sources of news they follow for themselves. Sure that means that a lot of people who just want whatever they want to believe validated will turn toward some crummy outlets. But in a free and open society, news sources such as the Washington Post during the Watergate era, can thrive, and enough people who just want the truth will find, and reward, those sources.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My last newsroom was overwhelmingly conservative.

(Also, too, Douthat is a doofus whose own biases ruin his objectivity. Last week, he griped about the way the town in "Sharp Objects" was portrayed. He said something about how its portrayal was how European who've never visited a small town in Real America imagine things to be. Nevermind the fact Gillian Flynn - a Missourian - wrote the book that it's based on and is quite familiar with small towns in the Ozarks. And the director of the miniseries is a Canadian.)

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Douthat grew up in New Haven, went to Harvard and lives in New York. He probably should shut the fuck up forever about "small-town America."

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The recognition of the rights of a free press when the United States Constitution was created was a very liberal concept. In practice, a free press exists to challenge authority with the truth. Those in power or protecting power will almost always view a free press as the voice of opposition to some degree.

Baron Scicluna and lakefront like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted