1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are friends/family shocked at your salary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. We took our last family vacation when my 8-year-old was an infant. And seeing as how I was just laid off by the Dallas Morning News last week, I don't expect another one in the foreseeable future.

2. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Yes. But I do get a nice vacation every year because either my parents or my in-laws foot the bill to take us somewhere because they pity us. I'm grateful that they're so generous, but it's humiliating considering that the trips are not extravagant. It's not like we're going to Disneyland for a week or Las Vegas.

I'm embarrassed by what I've settled for. And for what? To follow around a bunch of fucking high schoolers? This has by far been the biggest mistake of my life.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd gladly switch places with you.

4. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Look into charter schools. For instance, in my home state, they can have up to 25% of their teachers not be certified. I'm looking into that now. I would probably get a $5k raise if I make the switch.

And of course, they have much more reliable annual raises, plus attainable automatic raises (automatically get raises for a masters or phd, extra certifications, etc.). And considering that Ill get 13-15 weeks of vacation/year, I might actually have time to go back to school.

5. Come on, we're all on the same team here.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I think f_t's just trying to say that he'd "settle" for having a job right now, with or without a vacation.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Everything I need I learned in Kindergarten. This post sums up my life.

I would rather be a miserable investment banker with a pretty wife and a hot mistress than the pay check to pay check do what you love set. It's a vicious cycle. Our parents hated their jobs and wish they could do something they love. Our children will understand that money is important.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The good thing about being in this industry is you learn how to handle money for when you (hopefully) get out of it. I havent had a vacation since 2003 but have been stashing away my tax returns for "just in case" money for the past three years. When Ms. Matador decided last year she was taking her two kids on a two week vacation to Florida I said, "you might wanna reconsider, maybe scale it back." She said, "I know what I'm doing. I'll be fine."

Now, after she's been hit with a $500 car repair bill and a $1,300 income tax bill her boyfriend suddenly doesn't look so fuckin' stupid.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

How old are you? Do something about it. Get out and do something else?
    My guess is you don't want to do this because you are somebody who chose this field because you love to write and hate the idea of 9-5 or 8-4 whatever the hours of normal people these days.
    You say it's the biggest mistake of your life.
    If you really mean that, do something about it.

If you are exaggerating, then keep doing what you do and wait out the inevitable pay cuts and furloughs and finally you getting laid off.

10. I know. I just don't like the, "My life is more miserable than your life" contest. I think that people who have jobs have a right to vent, too. I know it might sound insensitive to others, but if someone is unfulfilled, who are we to judge?

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Winner, winner.

Any job is what you make of it. If you want the bigger beats, cover the hell out of the one you've got. Build up the clips, send them and your resume out to another shop or submit them if your shop has an opening for a better beat.

I'm not trying to say my life is any more miserable than anyone else's. I'm saying make the most of the job you have. It's up to you to improve your own lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted