1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Asian-Americans the New Jews?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Crimson,

I wouldn't worry too much. There are sooooo many colleges out there that he'll find one he likes and can afford (which is a huge issue no one seems to talk about). Hey, if I got admitted back in the day, just about anyone can, right?

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

This isn't a story; it's been going on for at least 20 years at a lot of west coast schools, and possibly longer. I mean, it's pure fact. I don't get why something that has been as plain as day for a long time somehow counts as a news story.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Really? I feel like 'cost of college' stories are everywhere. And a big part of the current presidential argument.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

if i answer 'yes,' would that make me an OLD jew? ???

5. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

No.
    Nobody is calling for driving Asian-Americans into the sea or saying that the World War II internment never existed.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't get into the whole ratrace of "he HAS to get into an Ivy League school or he won't go anywhere in life," and would have no problem with him going to college just about anywhere that I can afford except my alma mater's rival :). But the thought that his application, if he's on the bubble, might be rejected because he's Asian and the school "has too many Asians" gives me some pause.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Aren't the Oriental-Americans?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Regardless of kids' ethnicities they are best positioned by having something unique to bring to the school community. Have 'em learn to play the oboe or something. Having great test scores and grades is a major part of the equation but still just a part of being admitted to a good school.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As much as society has worked towards diversity, I am not surprised by this. At the margins, the Ivies want to keep it diverse and avoid the situation of say UC Berkeley which is flush with high-performing Asians. While I've always had to apply through color-blind criteria, when I got to college and law school I worked on race-based applications and believe in affirmative action where you recognize non-traditional admissions criteria. Private schools should have the opportunity to craft their admissions policies as they see fit.

I hope my kids aspire for the best and if its the Ivies and they get turned down, I have no doubt there are other fine institutions that will accept them.

The Asian experience mirrors the Jewish immigrant experience in that the Asians recognized that one path to success here was academic achievement; many times at the cost of social activities.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Regarding educational opportunities, it has been this way for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted