1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are American kids spoiled?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll be 63 tomorrow, and I've been reading how American kids are shit since I learned to read and was a little kid myself. It's just the same old crap. Old people like reading about how young people suck. Always have, always will. Works both ways, I might note.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One-quarter of children live in poverty, and those just above the line aren't living high on the hog. So you can't say American kids are spoiled, because a large number of them are actually deprived.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And, Dick, have some confidence in yourself as a parent. Every time you weigh in on subjects such as these, you talk how scared shitless you are. Just love your kids, get to know them, set appropriate limits and always follow through, and you'll be all right.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If this is so, how do you, as a parent, deal with it/nip it in the bud? Or do you just throw your hands up?

Watch and learn from this guy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079239/

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

True.

I think I'm hyperbolizing.

At least a little bit. :)

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

About 35% of students in my county, pretty average, are getting some form of free and reduced lunch.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yes, kids are spoiled. They were in my generation 40 years ago and even moreso today. Some can't survive 5 minutes without their cells phones and texts messages.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sounds like most adults as well. How does that make them spoiled?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A lot of adults are spoiled, too. I imagine a lot of it begins at a young age.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As Gee rightly points out, there's an economy of generational contempt going back to the beginning of recorded history.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's not their fault most of them are taller than you. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But, again: This doesn't seem to be cross-generational so much as cross-cultural. Obviously there is some generational judging going on, which will be the case by definition any time children are written about. But for once it's not comparing children to the children of yore, but rather American children to third world children.

Draft saved Draft deleted