1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ARCTIC BLAST 2007 — Live team coverage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oklahoma is about to get hit with what is forecast as 2 inches of ice starting today. There may not be a light pole standing up there by this time Sunday. That mess is headed this way and it's a matter of 30 miles whether we get ice or just cold rain (ice storm warning is one county away).

Is anyone else getting it, and how bad is it where you are?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Evansville's in the "red" swath on your weather map, where they're forecasting 3 to 6 inches of rain.

Problem is: We're coming off the wettest year on record, the ground is more than saturated, and we can't take much more. So expect plenty of flood footage out of our neck of the woods.

Still, I'd take 6 inches of rain over a half-inch of ice. We had that shit back in 2003, and it paralyzed the area for two days.

Ice sucks out loud.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Coincidentally, we're approaching the 70th anniversary of a massive flood that pretty much covered all of the Ohio River Valley.

The Ohio hit flood stage in Louisville on Jan. 15. It would not drop below that level until Feb. 6. Roughly two-thirds of Louisville's population (the city's pop. back then was 350,000) needed to be evacuated.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

We're going from freezing mist to freezing rain to sleet to snow. Hasn't happened yet, but it's supposed to start tonight and continue into Sunday night.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Its 60 out and not supposed to rain until Monday... sorry

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Y'all down south are serious Sally's when it comes to weather. ;)

Hope everyone survives the runs on bottled water at the Piggly Wiggly.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I guess it's supposed to rain this weekend. Highs in the 50's though. Look at it this way, all the precipitation should get rid of all the dust gathering on your cars, dust bowlers.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hell, it's 60 degrees here.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Upper 50s today and well into the 60s through Monday.

And no, I don't feel as I've been cheated out of my winter. Bring on spring.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Already had a shit ton of ice, back in early December. I was extremely lucky... never lost power in my tiny apartment. It took more than a month to restore power to everybody, and there are still piles of branches lined up along the road waiting to get taken away.

It sucked. Good luck.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

These weather patterns are totaly f'd up.

Today through Monday in NYC area: low 50s and light rain. (Cloudy, 50 now) ... could be 60 again by next weekend.
    No snow or ice yet this season.... bizarre

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing every supermarket and Wal-Mart in Oklahoma is packed with little old ladies stocking up on canned goods right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted