1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arcade Fire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagles1 in London, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ijag, if you want to "get it," take my foolproof suggestion:

1. get a copy of "funeral."
    2. listen to said album all the way through.
    3. repeat #2.

you will then want to listen to it over and over because it's just too good. in my instance, i couldn't get past the opener (neighborhood #1) for the first week. but when i did, all i could think was "holy shit, all these songs are awesome!"

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What is amazing is their buzz is almost completely word of mouth. Other than "Rebellion," I have never heard an Arcade Fire song played on an American radio station. Not even the local alternative station.

(BBC Radio One, which I stream regularly, plays the piss out of them.)

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

They were on the cover of Time in Canada two years ago, before anybody heard of them here. They probably drew a lot of WTF in '05 when Bowie had them back him on VH-1's Fashion Rocks special (they did "Wake Up" and Bowie's rarely played "Five Years", which opened the Ziggy LP).
    AF's site has pretty comprehensive setlists - I'd love to know what they did with Springsteen's "State Trooper."

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I love the Arcade Fire. I introduced my friend who is a correspondent at ABC News to the CD "Funeral" and it became one of his favourites.

Rebellion (Lies), Neighbourhood #2 and Wake Up are the "must listen to" tracks off of Funeral. The whole Neon Bible cd is fantastic, but the tracks you should listen to is Black Mirror, Keep the Car Running and No Cars Go.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a year late to this party.

Killing time Saturday night and an episode of Austin City Limits is on.

I have no freaking idea what the band is, just that there are a lot of musicians on stage and the music's pretty good.

So that was Arcade Fire.

OK, now I get it.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

LOL!

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought we had word on a new tour. :)

Welcome to the club, HH.

9. HejiraHenry

Better late than never, I suppose.

It's in my nature.

I'm probably the only person who began listening to R.E.M. because of, not in spite of, Fables of the Reconstruction.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, there's this really cool band called The Strokes that you should check out. They're hot.

11. HejiraHenry

I've heard of the Strokes, thanks.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Who the hell was Eagle1 in London? Was that somebody else who changed his/her name 47 times and that was the original incarnation?

Draft saved Draft deleted