1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE winner: Haven't I read this before?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hack, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Re: APSE winner: Havent' I read this before?

Too bad Chappelle doesn't still have a show. He could do spoof about APSE idiocy -- "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: APSE winner: Havent' I read this before?

Earlier in my career, the SE and a key writer were on vacation the same week. Another writer did a very good feature in their absence.

SE came back and noted that, while it was a good story, the writer on vacation had done pretty much the same story two years earlier. Someone, he noted, should have remembered.

When he was done with his mild scolding, he said, "At least we're recycling good stories. The original took first in the state contest."

So did the repeat, which led the boss to say, "We need to write this one every summer and we'll never get shut out."

3. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

You know what bothers me about it as much as anything, M1? The attitude by some in our business that the readers will be too dumb to notice. The attitude that we can just keep on shoveling them the same shit. If there's one thing declining circulation figures shout -- loudly -- it's that readers are damn tired of the shit they're being shoveled.

4. Moderator1

Agreed.

5. Whitlock was interviewed a while back and I thought he made a dead-solid point in regards to Pulitzers and APSE Awards.
    The awards are always given to papers who covered a tragedy - albeit well, but a tragedy. The Va. Tech massace, Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, Todfay, I don't think there's a chance in hell "Death of a Racehorse" would even be considered for an award.

As has been pointed out before: If you aren't writing about terminal cancer patient, a one-legged Olympian hurdler or a displaced athlete who overcame all odds forget about it.

In addition to being a good writer, you have to be fortunate (excuse the phrase) enough to have a tragedy/catastrophe happen on your beat.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

i wonder if you can submit almost EXACTLY the same story for the writing contest, as long as you add one or two new quotes? just has me wondering what else can slip by the judges.
    and as someone who attended the judging, some people just cared more about what they were doing. i remember people in one group talking about how they DID look up what won last year and maybe even the year before.
    obviously that wasn't the case for this group.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seems to me Albom wrote the same Dreams Deferred story every year, only the names changed

8. Moderator1

So you hate Mitch, too?

9. Hack

Hack New Member

Look up the nexis version of the P-P story and compare it to the Post's. It is essentially 90 percent the same. It's just offensive, really, that the judges would whiff so badly.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe you'll do better than first runner-up next year, Hack

11. Hack

Hack New Member

Maybe you'll read all the entries before you vote next year, dooley.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whenever I advance past the agate desk, I'll worry about getting a vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted