1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Southwest Region contest winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There should be a 20K-175K Division I, and a 20K-175K Division II. That way we won't have to create a newspaper equivalent of a Class 6A.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Congrats to Jeff Andrews, a college colleague of mine for two years.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Are there even any 175k newspapers in New Mexico? Is Albuquerque that big?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't think SW APSE even includes all of New Mexico, I think it is just the eastern portion of the state. Though I could be wrong.

Where's The Erf to answer these questions?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

drinking a beer, playing poker and telling D-III football stories?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Farmington was represented at one time.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a little bit of me died when i realized you actually knew that bit of trivia.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Isn't Farmington in the eastern portion of the state?

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Congrats to all the winners.
    This year sucked because the first time I saw the contest rules (and mainly the deadline to enter) was the day before they were due.
    I don't know if our SE ever saw the guidlelines or not, but I know we didn't enter anything, and we always do. Sometimes our SE isn't always on top of everything, and this year we were busy non-stop from Jan. until last week moreso than normal year, so I'm not shocked no one noticed the entries were due.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At least this is for a whole region. I still think they gave out about 1/10th as many awards as Georgia.

11. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Winning an award - an "APSE" award, no less - when next to no one entered the contest is lame. Bet it looks good on a resume, though.

The regional contest my paper entered last year was canceled for lack of entries.

It all comes down to poor communication, which is really appalling considering the business we're in. APSE doesn't do a good job of promoting the regional contests, because if you're not specifically looking for it on the Web site at the right time of year, you're not going to find out about it.

And we never even found out our regional contest was canceled until we called the contest chair wondering what the hell ever happened to announcing the winners!

12. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Farmington is in the northwest corner of the state, near the four corners area

Draft saved Draft deleted