1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE - Photocopies OK?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I can't tell. The directions say "Library printouts are not acceptable." And it says that it must be submitted "as newspaper clippings pasted within the edges of an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper."

So am I to take from this that they want only actual pasted newsprint turned in, not photocopies of newsprint?

For some reason, I thought in the past it specified that photocopies were OK.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm pretty sure photocopies are OK. I hope so, or else we'll be DQ'd.

3. I don't know how they could tell the difference between a photocopy and a "library printout," though.

Seems messy to have real news clippings hanging off sheets everywhere.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I don't even know what a "library printout" is.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

This is how you do it.
    You cut the story out of the paper, then remove bylines and any references to the name of the writer or the newspaper. (like a tagline at the end, writer xxx can be reached at xxxxx@podunktimes.net).
    Tape the story to a 8x11 piece of paper.
    Submit.
    The contest catchers will make copies so eventually it will be copied.
    So yes, photocopies are OK.
    They want it to be the copy from the paper but in a format that's easy to read and keep organized.
    When you're reading more than 100 stories, you can't have clips of different sizes and shapes. The 8x11 format keeps everything organized.
    A library copy could be a printout from a computer and could be altered from the original.
    There should be an APSE document that shows what writing entries are supposed to look like.

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

This is correct. Basically -- don't grab your story off the internet archive and print it out and turn it in.

Also, Lynn Hoppes, who is in charge of the contest, has been great about email responding to a couple of questions we've had. Thanks much, Lynn, if you're reading this thread.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh shit. I misunderstood. I've spent the last two weeks using this method:

[​IMG]

8. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

Hi guys,

As a judge for many years, my impression has been that photo copies are ONLY allowed if the originals were lost in the judging process. And as a judging group leader, I've tossed entries that have been photocopies.

The big reason for no photocopies: Just like library printouts, they can be altered. The only way to avoid that is to have the original clips pasted or taped onto 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.

Nobody is making photo copies of a every entry when they received. I've been a catcher trhee times. They are merely logged in and tracked, and then distributed to the judging groups. That is why it has to be on an 8x11 sheet(s) within the margins. For easy reading.

Sorry, but that's from experience -- and someone who just turned his entries yesterday.

Bill

9. No offense, but you guys need to be more clear about this in your contest instructions.

10. Newspaper clippings isn't clear?

11. I knew there would be some smartass chiming in.

No, it's not clear when it used to say, "Photocopies acceptable."

And it's not clear when every other contest in the world allows photocopies onto 8x11 paper, or else requires tear sheets.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Hmmm. See, I corresponded with Lynn Hoppes on this VERY ISSUE, and this was his direct response ... my question: "Also, sorry to bug ... can writing clips be photocopies of newspaper
    originals? Or do they have to be the actual newsprint originals?

His response: "photocopies yes. that's how most people do them."

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted