1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE judging thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Marvin, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

This is a joke, right?

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No. Why, are you one of the slobs?

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Have you walked through any event press room lately? Guys dress like homeless dolts there, too.

Let's just say, some of our brethren are are simply cluless about attire.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They wouldn't be able to dress like that where I work. We're casual, but we do have a dress code. The big boss sends out an e-mail if he notices things beginning to slide. I'd be ashamed to wear a hoodie to a national gathering. They won't go to hell, they just look like shit.

5. Buck Hill

Buck Hill New Member

Your boss had it right. You should be happy when you or your friends win.

These contests are subjective. Sure, your best work might get passed over. But sometimes something you never thought would win does just that. Be happy when you win. When you don't, remember it is subjective. But focus on your readers and the work you do every day and don't let your level of satisfaction rest solely on winning — or not winning — awards.

The naysayers who say they put no stock in awards should move on to something they do care about. Why waste your time posting here if you don't care? Unless, of course, it's a way to look down your noses at those of us who don't mind being singled out by our peers for doing some pretty good work.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

You boss sounds like a wise man. I enjoy the times when I win, because who the hell doesn't prefer winning to the alternative? And I enjoy the hell out it when my friends do well, because I have some really talented friends. But the victories are fleeting and you have to earn respect with the work you do all year.

7. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

That is great advice to those who are new to this.

But I'll say this, I had an editor at a very major paper once tell me the best way to get ahead is by winning a damn APSE. Was it bad advice, the truth, both or neither?

8. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Say...not to break up this enthralling dress code chatter, but what happened to posting some results "this afternoon"?

If they'd all worn ties, it'd be done by now.

9. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

I'm sure if these guys were at some forum or discussion the attire would be different. But come on, they're holing up for 10 or 12 hours or whatever -- reading clips. They're not electing a new pope. Not even an Edwin Pope. I agree with professional standards. I'm not a judge -- but if I were one, I'd think it pretty ridiculous that my wardrobe gets this much attention. The Oscars, it ain't!

10. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

I think it would be FASCINATING if APSE could elect the next pope, and the Vatican Council could judge the next APSE contest. Mix it up a little!

11. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Four section categories are completed.
    We'll post those in the a.m.
    Check out the apse website for that.
    We still have no writing awards totally finished.
    Just some preliminary stuff.
    Sorry about the delay.

12. dcwriter1978

dcwriter1978 New Member

A joke could be made about the APSE judges missing deadline, but I'm above such a mean-spirited jab.

Draft saved Draft deleted