1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE contest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Have they announced the final two mandatory dates for the APSE contest? Thank you.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Noticed that as well. And lots of non-newspaper judges so I can't imagine they didn't enter.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, in fact, ALL of the big category judges were non-newspaper. I'm not sure what I think about the fact that not a single big non-newspaper website -- not one -- even merited honorable mention. Although even with the judges, maybe not many of them entered or something.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

FYI: Sports websites not connected newspapers were NOT judged in the APSE over-2,000,000 category -- or anywhere else.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It wouldn't be fair to judge Yahoo! Sports/ESPN.com/Fanhouse against WashingtonPost.com/sports. Totally different goals, audiences and decision making processes, whether or not that's a good thing.

7. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

How do you judge a website.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Quality of content
    Presentation
    Ease of navigation

For starters

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Final mandatories:

Sunday, Aug. 8
    Thursday, Oct. 14

Previous mandatories:

Sunday, June 27
    Monday, April 5

Entry deadline Jan. 25.

Judging Feb. 12-16 in Indianapolis.

http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/final-mandatories-sunday-aug-8-and-thursday-oct-14/

10. Two Sundays in the summer? WTF?

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

We're not entering this year, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

Our paper didn't come across for the membership, and I'm not in the position where I can pay the dues. I know there are people on my staff that really live through awards, but even with that, I didn't feel like it was right to ask them to pony up money so the whole staff could enter (as I understand that as long as the sports editor is a member, the rest can enter.)

There'll be other contests we can enter. State and national organizations the paper does belong to for writers and designers.

And honestly, I don't think the paper has ever cared when we did win. In the past 10 years, we've taken home Top 10s (writing and sections) and even a triple crown once, and they basically said, "Meh. Put it in your section somewhere."

However, when we've won awards in the other contests, they've blown it up and gushed for days.

So, in one way I'm sad. In others, I'm not.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can happily say I didn't design the section on any of those days. My boss goes nuts about awards stuff and over thinks everything and stresses out and brings up old things. Once, he came back to a designer demanding to know "Why did you decide to box this centerpiece?" from a back issue about six months old. Turned out it was one of the required days for a contest.

Do these contests really achieve much? I don't think so. They just stress out management, which in turn stresses out the staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted