1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Contest results

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Condition Of Anonymity, Feb 14, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The old "Well, everyone is doing it these days" refrain probably will be the theme.

2. MileHigh

Three Triple Crowns in the top circulation category: Dallas Morning News, Denver Post, Los Angeles Times.

3. spankys

spankys Member

did the wash post miss the deadline or somethuing? They're nowhere to be seen on section awards.

4. MileHigh

Top 10 daily and special sections. Shut out in Sundays.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

In that top category, Honorable Mention means your paper is one of the top 20 papers out of ... 39, if I remember right.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Pensacola also won for project reporting. Great haul for Heist and his guys.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When are they posting the writing awards from the large papers?

8. Q-Bert

Q-Bert Member

Is this the part where we blast all those silver-spooned hacks at metro newspapers and glorify all the selfless, underpaid (and shamefully undiscovered) talent stashed away at the Pottawatamie Mercury Telegraphs of the world? Because I've been saving material for a full year now.

9. nebraska_rules

nebraska_rules New Member

I'd like to see a list of newspapers listed by the categories: 0-30, 30-75, 75-175 and 175-up. Or, at least the number of entries per category. I guarantee you that the 175-up is the smallest of the group. Probably about 35 papers. Means they have 20 shots in 35 of placing in the section contest. By comparision, the 30-75 and 75-175 groups must be huge. I know they changed the circulation groups this year, but newspaper circulations have dropped, too. Maybe I'm off base.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I was a judge, the second-biggest category was the smallest by far. I know that's changed a lot in the last 10 years since circulations have plummeted. It was the level that Palm Beach seemed to win almost every year.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

They've tweaked quite a few times, and it's hard to get it just right. And remember the other thing: It's not just papers in a certain category, it's papers in a certain category that pay for APSE membership. And quite a few smaller papers just don't do that.

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Not sure which is better: Celebrating a Big Boy Top 10 Sunday or beating former co-workers for the honor. I think it's always more fun to compete against people you know, people with whom you've shared ideas and visions. Course, they got me in another category. It's all good.

Draft saved Draft deleted