1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

April Fool's Day stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 29, 2013.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Are you out of college? Then Just Say No.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

http://www.planetblacksburg.com/entertainment/turnage-040107-trashmore.php

3. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We had an ASE way back who used to write these damn things using the byline of LIRPA LOOF

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Your ASE never evolved past yearbook class.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember April 1, 1984. That was the day Marvin Gaye was shot and killed by his father. I recall the DJ coming on the air saying repeatedly, "This is not an April Fool's joke."

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Worked at a paper where the April Fool's article was bylined "Ima Jo Kerr"

7. Our paper did some until around the 2000s. Corporate enacted a rule for no April's fools day stories (threatening "severe repercussions if one was done).

It was always VERY outlandish stuff though, I'm just assuming someone in our corporation probably got stupid with it and it caused problems.

While I find them entertaining, I do not think they belong in a newspaper...after all, we're here to report FACTS not false information for the intention of a prank.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

My paper has done this for a long time. The reason it continues is that it's never been completely screwed up and is always planned well enough that it's more humorous than damaging and the sources are in on it.

The last paragraph of the story (always on the turn) says specifically that it's an April Fools story.

I refuse to participate in it, but it can be done. Judging from reactions I see around town, the intentional incorrect story is the best thing we do.

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

National media is getting on board with it today, apparently they're pretending UCLA hired Steve Alford, but no one would be dumb enough to believe that, right?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Never hurts to repost one of the great April Fools' editions of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Serriffe

At least according to this, you can still select San Serriffe as your location when registering on The Guardian's website.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My college paper had a joke issue, but it was always obvious -- even though it was never published on April 1.

Journalists have little enough credibility already. Why waste limited resources on fake news?

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted