1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

April Fools Day 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just about everything I've seen today has been dumb. And obvious. And did I mention dumb?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Was your boss Michael Scott?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a reason I don't like that show. I don't think there is anything funny about working for a clueless dickhead boss who enjoys fucking with people for his own enjoyment.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The best April Fool's joke remains giving someone a message from Mr. Fox along with a zoo's phone number and telling them to return his call.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Lame people who think they're funny by pulling unfunny pranks and telling unfunny jokes? Sounds like an average day dealing with copy deskers.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I remember a few years ago in the days of the long-lamented newspagedesigner.com, a fairly prominent designer totally stole someone else's design for his own cover treatment, and people here were abuzz with drama. Eventually someone figured out what day it was. But it worked surprisingly well.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I had you pegged as more of a Ryan, but you're Toby!

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's awesome. If he's anything like mine, he will not be asked to return after today.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

We're a weekly coming out on Fridays, so the stars aligned for us this year. I did a story about two city officials retiring today (which is true) to build a new college football stadium, which will be the new stadium for the successful college football team across the river from us.
    Last year, a local baseball team played a joke about a star college quarterback who was kicked off the team joining said baseball team. News release was sent out about 10:40 p.m. on March 31. All three TV stations called the team's PR lady, who confirmed to each station the story was legit. Umm, it wasn't, but the stations didn't check other sources and went with it. Next day, the PR lady said haha, April Fools. The TV stations weren't amused.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

While running to the store earlier I was listening to some (non-sports) talk radio where they had callers call in with the best/worst April Fool's jokes they pulled (or were pulled on them). Perhaps the best one was this:

A guy called in saying his daughter was born 20-years ago today. He said he & his wife didn't want to know the sex of the baby until it came out.
    So during the delivery the doctor keeps saying "It's a boy, it's a boy, it's a boy" and then when the baby is fully delivered the doctor says "April Fools! It's a girl!"

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

30 years ago i was a very naive, 23-year-old reporter for the manhattan/bronx section of the ny daily snooze. when i arrived at my desk that morning, a phone message thingy had been left, marked 'urgent!,' to call 'mr. fox' at '212-(you-suck).' of course, it was the number for the bronx zoo, and the operator just sniped, 'happy april fool's day, sucker!' only she didn't sound even a teeny-tiny bit amused.(it was 9:50 a.m.; i can only imagine how many calls she had already fielded in search of 'mr. fox...'

of course, my editor and several others could barely contain themselves, wondering for the rest of the day what big scoop 'mr. fox' had for me...

hardy-har-har.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Arianna had a gone one today...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/a-word-about-digital-subs_b_843385.html

Draft saved Draft deleted