1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying for the recently posted USA Today jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 2, 2012.

1. VJ

VJ Member

If they were hiring the same positions as those they laid off, I could see your point, but it appears they are looking for an entirely different set of skills. I'm sympathetic to those laid off, as someone who once was himself, but contrary to Mitt Romney's opinion, corporations aren't people. They aren't beholden to the same ethical standards you or I are. Besides, if they were, there'd be nothing to bitch about, and what fun would that be?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Gannett is looking for those who will work more for less. It isn't more complicated than that.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The point is to save money.

If you lay off someone making $74K in City A, then hire someone making $35K to produce City A's paper in City B's centralized editing hub, you save money.

Of course, you could offer someone the chance to move 1,000 miles and take a $39K pay cut, but . . .

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The whole skill set thing is a red herring, because the skills they are seeking are skills that most people can learn.

It's just about the money, but Gannett doesn't want to say that because then they look even worse than they already do. Especially when they give the savings from the furloughs to the executives for their bonuses. So they try some BS "Your skills are obsolete" crap.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

In this economy, there are people who would take that.

They should have at least offered that.

6. Southern Yankee

Southern Yankee New Member

Did anybody happen to notice if the window ended to apply for those jobs? They were posted on May 24 and, as best as I can tell, they're not up on the Gannett site any more -- unless it's a glitch or I'm doing something wrong on the Web site.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Companies don't want to deal with employees relocating and taking a big pay cut. Morale would be horrible, bot that I would blame a Gannett employee for not supporting the company line.

8. BTExpress

Some companies do. And do even better than that.

When McClatchy organized its publishing center in Charlotte, employees in Raleigh and Rock Hill were offered the chance to relocate at the same pay. Twenty-four said no.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I could see not wanting to relocate from Raleigh, especially if you have family, but Rock Hill? Seriously? According to Google Maps, that's an added 25-minute commute each way in good traffic. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but if you wanted to stay at McClatchy, that's far from an insurmountable obstacle.

10. BTExpress

I don't know what the numbers were. Maybe everybody in Rock Hill took the offer, and only a couple dozen in Raleigh didn't.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

FWIW, these jobs are still posted on Career Builder. Try applying through there and see if it gets you anywhere.

12. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

So has anyone heard anything, not that I'm expecting anything but I'm just curious to see if we have anyone who has applied has heard anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted