1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applying for online jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rapides, Jan 15, 2008.

1. rapides

rapides New Member

I'm accustomed to the old routine. Find a sports editor, submit clips etc. I've searched on espn.com, yahoo.com and don't know who to contact to get started. Does anyone have any expertise in this area?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not to be mean, but if you are unable to find a way online to apply for an online job, perhaps you're not suited for it.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Ace, that was pretty mean.

Rapides - I've had similar trouble with yahoo, but ESPN has a jobs web site. They take interns/PAs around November when they start accepting applications.

Good luck buddy, live the dream...

4. rapides

rapides New Member

Ace ... thanks, stud.
    GBNF ... thank you.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I spent 10 seconds on ESPN.com and found this:

http://www.joinourteam.espn.com/joinourteam/

If you were looking for something more insiderish than a way to apply online, I apologize.

(Hint, most of the jobs and contact information on web sites like this are in little links on the bottom of the page.)

6. Not for nothing, but given that both ESPN and Yahoo seem to just cherry pick who they want, I don't think someone sending in an application online sight unseen is going to have much of a shot of landing a gig.

7. rapides

rapides New Member

I think I was too vague with my question ... I am at GA reporter at mid-major paper who, for obvious reasons, is curious about working online. I agree that mailing an unsolicited clips package is unlikely to land the job of my dreams. I do, however, believe I have a modicum of talent and the alternative, I suppose, is to do nothing. That said, I guess my question is this: Do sites such as ESPN.com etc. have someone known as a sports editor? Who is in charge, who would be the person who might possibly care about seeing a clips package and, ideally, would respond, "How soon can we hire the GA person at the mid-major paper with a modicum of talent?" I did do some brief research and came up wanting, thus my appeal to the board.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Ace, not everything is as well-known or reliabl as ESPN.

There are companies that do online business I've thought about applying for, but you never know what's a fly-by-night operation and what has staying power. I think that's what rapides may have meant, not to speak for them or anything.

Maybe if you found that "Apply Here" link on the Plain Dealer website, maybe you could get a..well, probably not.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, then. I would try to contact one of the writers on the site. They have emails that you can usually find. They may be of more help in who wields the writer hiring clout.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For some reason, that link is dead to me.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Bummer.

12. txscoop

txscoop Member

Funny shit

Draft saved Draft deleted