1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

applying for an SE opening

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

What exactly do you send as clips for something like that? Does it depend on whether or not you're more of a writer or designer type of SE? Or is it mostly about the resume and references?

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'd think they'd want to see that you can design and that you can write. I'd probably want my candidate to show me some enterprise pieces or things a little out of the ordinary as well as showing solid day-to-day coverage. That'd probably be one of the jobs where a cover letter is crucial as well.

I'd imagine the real test for a position like that is the interview. Some of the situationals and experience questions would be make or break, at least if I was doing the hiring.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

References are the most important. But, they can be a touchy entry on the resume.
    Not everyone, for a variety of reasons, wants to include references.
    Showing story plans and executions as well blanket coverage of an event. Not just a planned event, but a story precipitated by a breaking news.
    (The cover letter is the last thing I read, if I get that far.)

4. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Frequently a critique is solicited as well.
    They will let you know what they want.
    New ideas/enhancements you can bring to a section are always appreciated too.

5. fishwrapper

...and used ;)

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

makes me think, do most of you have a one-page or two-page resume.
    I was a one-page guy for a while, but now have a second page solely for my references.

7. fishwrapper

Your work should stand out. It's more important than the resume.
    With two phone calls or emails, it is pretty easy to ascertain ability or work ethic.

8. Taylee

Taylee Member

One thing for certain is you have be both a writer and designer and be able to lead those who do both.
    Before interviewing for an SE job, I provided a phone list of our sports staff as well as managment in editorial and other departments. I did this with the staff's approval, of course.
    Told them to call anyone, everyone.
    EE seemed floored, but took me up on it. EE called six people on the list.
    During the interview, I laid out a course of action in the form of ideas, not changes. It's more subtle and less arrogant.
    Was a long shot to get the job, and we talked about that in the interview.
    Was offered ASE job and turned it down.
    But I do get a kick out of the fact that just about everytime I see the paper I see a few of the ideas I suggested being implemented.
    I still talk to the EE occasionally to knock around ideas.

Draft saved Draft deleted