1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Application question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sunshine Scooter, Aug 22, 2007.

1. 212areacode

212areacode Member

I'm telling you, apply. Timing is everything.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

god i hope 212 applies for a job with me some day.

3. I don't understand what you're saying here at all. The guy said the timing is wrong, and you're saying timing is everything but apply anyway?

4. I would advise against applying if you know you won't accept the position. I once applied for a position on a larger paper, with a decent pay increase. When I told my SE I planned on accepting -- he knew I had interviewed -- he said don't do anything until he could talk to the ME. SE got my paper to top the offer, so I stayed.

Unfortunately, the people at the paper where I interviewed badmouthed me in the industry about wasting their time, using them to start a bidding war, etc. That was never my intention, but it played out that way. I found out later when I went to work for another paper and the new SE let me in on it. FWIW, he said he never believed it, because I had done work in college for him and he said it didn't sound like me. But I'm wondering if others might have bought it.

Draft saved Draft deleted