1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Application and Interview Suggestions,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Dec 20, 2010.

1. azom

azom Member

Every job I ever had in the newspaper industry, I knew the people that hired me well before I interviewed with them. Networking is the MOST important thing you can do.

(I'm searching for a teaching job right now and I can tell I haven't done enough networking. I can tell by my lack of interviews.)

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Stich, it depends. I spent a few hundred bucks to make a trip and check things out because I was mildly concerned over taking a job sight unseen, arriving in town and finding it to be real hellhole. Made that mistake before and it was even more expensive. So I considered an investment and haven't regretted it. They didn't pay all of my moving expenses, but at least reimbursed miles when I actually made the move. Not much, I know, but I was no position to argue at the time.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the company's side, how do they know you're not just doing it for a free trip on their dime? So why should they pay your interview expenses. Not saying they shouldn't offer, but if they don't it's not worth the whining.
    I've paid my own way before; when I took the job, they reimbursed my interview expenses, which was only airfare.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The days are lone gone when an employer will try to impress applicants. Back in 1979 when my dad interviewed for an entry-level electronics technician opening after getting an associate's degree, he was flown out to Phoenix from back east. After he accepted the job, the company flew my mom and dad to Phoenix for house hunting, and then paid for a full-service move. All this for a job that paid around $16,000.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately region is important...newspapers are no longer willing to fly people out for interviews, so basically your competing through email and phone calls against others who can be there in person...face-to-face is going to win that battle almost every time. I know this from my own national job search about a year ago.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Me, too, from mine, as well. Willingness to move is good, but it won't matter if the employer is not seeking and willing to consider strongly someone who would have to move.

It used to be that the way to advance was to be willing to move all over the place. Now, not so much. Hiring has become pretty much a regional endeavor.

7. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

If, during a phone interview, the other person doesn't bring up reimbursement for driving to a place for an in-person interview, should you ask? I waited until after everything was finished to ask at one place, and they said I was out of luck, that I needed to set something up beforehand. But I feel it's quite "uppity" if you ask for money for traveling beforehand, and an editor may hold it against you for asking. Thoughts?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes, it is "uppity" to want to be thrown a bone interviewing at crappy newspapers in even crappier towns. If they hold asking for mileage and a hotel against you, you probably don't want to work there. Interviews are also a chance for the paper to impress you.

It your drive is 1-2 hours, asking for mileage is pushing it, but anything more than 200 miles away deserves something.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

For some reason that bolded part just makes me smile.

Yes you should at least ask something about it. Even if you frame it by asking if they have a policy about covering such things. I recall an interview where we discussed nothing on that front, but on the way out they told me to send gas/motel receipts. For others I was on the hook for a cross-country flight/rental car/etc. and that was after I asked.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think for most entry level jobs the interview is the clincher. Clips, experience, etc. get you to the interview but the other finalists probably essentially have the same resume so interview breaks the tie.

So, how can you differentiate yourself in the interview?

First, get a practice interview taped. My college would do it for me. I was seriously unemployed and went and got a tape. I found out that I would cross my leg and wiggle my foot and it drove my practice interviewer crazy. But I did not realize I was (nerves). And the tape helped me on my eye contact which was bad (again,nerves). After the tape I went in with a body postion plan (seriously) and stuck to it and started getting job offers.

And prepare. Know the nickname of the local junior college team and if it is a more important beat than the local high schools. I once lived in a town where the Legion team drew more coverage than the rookie league team. Know that. Get on the internet and learn the paper. Then you can develop questions for the interview that appear to be custom fitted to the community and paper.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

yes, asking about mileage is fine...often times I neglect to bring it up because it seems like it should be commonplace, but alas, i found out that's not the case every where. If they don't offer some kind of travel stipend that would be a red flag.

And yes, I would come into any interview with at least a couple quality questions to ask about the publication. Don't come across as a condescending know it all, but do some research on the paper and yes, ask questions.

I end every interview with that and find it a red flag if someone responds with a "No, not really," and stands up ready to leave. I figure if you can't ask me questions right now, what are you going to do after a Friday night football game?

12. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Bumping this because I can't find a more recent "all-purpose job seeking advice" thread.

As someone who is dealing with an avalanche of cover letters/resumes/clips/etc. right now, I offer a bit of advice:

Put your name on every page of everything you submit. "Turtle Wexler" somewhere on Page 1 and "Wexler" on each of the subsequent pages. Of each document.

Also, pay attention to the name of the file you upload/attach. It's not helpful for me to download 30 documents called "resume.doc." Use your name in the file name: "Turtle Wexler resume.pdf" and "Wexler clips 1.pdf" and so forth.

If I can't easily find your stuff, or if I can't easily determine it belongs to you, your chances of getting a look have dropped dramatically.

Draft saved Draft deleted