1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Applewood smoked bacon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Will admit up front I'm a bit over the top about this one. I hear about it in a zillion ads and it is about to make me crazy.

WTF is it? Does the bacon taste like apples? What makes it so special? Will we eventually have no apple trees because all of them were cut down to provide the wood to smoke the bacon?

Please help me understand before I make my family crazy.

APPLEWOOD SMOKED BACON!!!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mmmmmmmm, bacon.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It's bacon with the power of apples! But then you find out it's just made of apple cores and Chinese newspapers.

Seriously, I've heard it too and I have no idea what the hell it is. I thought it might a brand name of some sort but it doesn't seem like it. I do think, however, it's from the same people who created the sea salt and cracked black pepper craze.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've had applesmoked wood bacon, it was a little stiff.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's an appealing adjective. It's pretty much standard bacon.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You have to smoke it with something. And "Burning Mattress Bacon" didn't test well with focus groups.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

To smoke any kind of meat, you need hardwood. Hickory, mesquite. Something that won't leave off flavors like pine or cedar. So apple works. And it's fairly plentiful for artisan bacon makers, considering orchard owners trim their trees annually.

Can you taste the difference? Maybe. I think the bigger difference is the cure that's used -- the salt, sugar and spices.

But "applewood" sure sounds good, doesn't it.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Wiring Fire-Smoked" tested badly, too.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have that as bacon salt.. .it's ok...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Burning Brakes bacon is great for BLT's

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Burning Coal-Seam Smoked" was ranked a "likely buy" when tested in Wheeling. Just behind "G-16 Military Signal Grenade/Orange/Slow Dispersing".

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Moddy, it's a Virginia tradition:

http://virginiatraditions.com/Cinnamon-Apple-Smoked-Bacon.aspx

Plus, this bacon is known for "little shrinkage." That's why Virginia is for Lovers!

Draft saved Draft deleted