1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appleton columnist arrested

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guillermo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Sad and stunning.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20090812/APC0101/908120555/1003/APC01/Post-Crescent-sports-columnist-Mike-Woods-faces-charges-after-altercation

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

since the altercation happened at a Target, wouldn't they have shit on video? Just asking since the story has a "he said, she said" feel to it.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

good lovin' gone bad

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Was it the right move by the paper to put the columnist's name in the headline, or would a line somewhere in the story have been enough? "Woods, who was arrested at his home, is a sports columnist at the Post-Crescent. Something like that.

Of course, a few astute readers might accuse the paper of hiding the story, which is never good. But still, I would have hesitated to put his name and position in the headline. But maybe I'm way off on this one. What's the SOP for something like this?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I would have thought "Post-Crescent writer" or staffer would have sufficed for a headline. But name and title should be in the first graf of the story, you're definitely hiding it if you say "An Appleton man was arrested..."

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"spitting in her face" ??

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet if you asked 100 different papers whether they would run this story about a columnist, not a regular writer or editor, you would get about 50 yes answers and 50 no answers.

I worked at one paper where the columnist was arrested for being drunk in public or some variation of that about once a month and they never made the paper. Granted, that's not as bad as possibly assaulting someone and spitting in their face, but this was someone who was the face of the paper.

Granted, that was about a decade ago, a lot has changed these days with the Internet.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing is - I doubt the story makes the paper if one of their people isn't involved. Give credit to the paper for being transparent. Though the case sounds a little bogus to me. Don't know if it's the "following her to the Target" part or the spitting in her face part - who knows the guy just might be a Niedermeyer.

Draft saved Draft deleted