1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple's new stuff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 9, 2014.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I just got a 5S a few weeks ago and can't imagine having to carry something around as big as the 6 or 6 Plus.

And I'm in the same boat as HH: I don't wear a watch, and haven't in several years, so that doesn't appeal to me at all.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Pet peeve - people who try and use their phones as boarding passes. Just print the fucking paper version and move on FFS.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

As my wife works for a phone/data provider, she watched the Apple sermon again tonight to take notes. Supposed to be some big announcement at her work and new training on Wednesday.

So I'm making dinner and halfway paying attention when one of the Apple deacons tells me that I can use the iWatch to determine where the other planets in the solar system are in their rotations compared to Earth.

Why the blue monkey hell do I need to know this? I can't go to any of these places. These guys are just showing off now.

Okay, serious thought on one function of the new iWatch: we've gone from writing people letters hopefully with decent penmanship. Then we started typing letters. Then we started typing emails. Then we started typing text messages. Thn we strtd typng txt tlk 2 shortn our msg. With iWatch, we can draw pictograms and avoid words altogether. Anybody else find this depressing as a writer?

The only thing I could imagine having any use for the iWatch and pictograms would be to send mildly obscene messages to my wife. If she texts "Hey forgot to return the library book I promised to return for you and now it's late" then I can draw a hand with a middle finger as a reply.

4. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

for those of you who are already willing to call the Apple Watch a 'failure', take a look back at all the negative predictions and reactions on MacRumors when Steve Jobs introduced the first iPod in the fall of 2001:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

How'd that overpriced "$400 mp3 player" work out in the end for Apple, Inc. and its shareholders?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think it was the "mp3 player" that made the iPod huge, but the development of iTunes. The gadgets are what people stand in line for, but it is the technology behind them that makes Apple stand out.
    I find it funny though, and not something to be dismissed, that phones are getting bigger for video purposes.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

^ Explains everything else in the post.

Bradley, the Luddite board is down the hall and to the left.

;D

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I personally love that when we buy tickets on Fandango I can just wave the phone and e ticket.

8. Bradley Guire

I buy movie tickets with Fandango on my phone. I'm writing this on my phone. But it will be a cold day in hell before I give up printed books!

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I assumed adding the Watch was done with an eye to the future of tech. Yeah, we all pound our chests and say we don't need it, we don't even want it. (Me too, honestly. I have no plans to buy one.)

But, wearable tech is the future the same way cell phones once were, and a watch is a start to that. I feel like Apple is ensuring it doesn't get too far behind in that game, because in 10 or 20 or 40 years, that could be the only game.

Many, many people used to say, "I don't need a phone with me all the time. I don't want to be at everyone's beck and call 24/7." Then when they got a phone they said, "I don't need text messaging. Call me if you want to talk," then "I don't need to check the internet when I'm taking a piss at work." Yet, here we all are, tweeting for the shitter.

I feel like it will be the same thing with the watch, though it has a ways to go.

Then again, Apple didn't start making shitty phones just so they'd be in position to make the iPhone. They just made the iPhone, so maybe what I said doesn't make any sense.

10. Bradley Guire

Think of what this guy could do with iWatch:

[​IMG]

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I did the phone boarding pass once and felt like kind of a douche. Don't mind the paper.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

if you told me two years ago that a) I'd spend $100 to buy a bracelet that would count my steps and B) the only time I'd take it off is to charge it, I would have told you were fucking crazy.

As watches have went from a functional timepiece to fashion statements, I'd say that the Apple Watch is a pretty safe bet.

Draft saved Draft deleted