1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple stock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Well, it continues to soar, no matter what the rest of the market does.

The question for other investor types - is it insane not to grab some right now? Or is it just the opposite - is the bottom bound to fall out?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The stock is trading at more than 40 times its earnings over the past four quarters. And analysts expect the company to grow around 15 to 20 percent next year. From a valuation standpoint it's just ridiculous.

Buying this stock right now would be like spending $900,000 to buy a $350,000 Rolls Royce and then telling everyone, "but it's a Rolls Royce!"

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Waylon, as my broker tells me when I ask these kinds of questions:

It's anybody's guess".

I have been in situations where I guessed and did all right...where I guessed and did poorly...and where I guessed and got my clock cleaned.

Two days ago Apple was down about 8 on news that the Iphone wasn't selling that well.

Today in early trading it was up 8.

Anybody's guess. :)

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

With all the programed trading, the automatic deductions for retirement plans and that money flowing to mutual funds prices will rise. As soon as there's a recession and people cut back, voluntarily or otherwise, on their automatic contributions, the market will fall, also not based on value.

Investments themselves are a commodity subject to supply and demand, with seeming little regard for the underlying fundamentals.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Bought mine in 1984, along with Microsoft.
    Two guesses on which one will allow me to retire any time I want to. :D

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Please tell me you're not kidding. I've always wanted to meet someone who purchased either/or back then and still has it. I've met plenty of people who sold and regretted, yet none who held.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When I buy, it's time to sell.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's probably a good buy, but it has a very high P/E (price-to-earnings) ratio. Which means, when it falls, it's gonna fall hard. For every dollar of earnings, the stock price will rise/fall $46.

If they continue their R&D efforts, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Since Microsoft went public in 1985, I would assume that he bought Apple in 1984.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT!

FACT!

Yeah, I laid it out on two competing posts, but the reality is all in the R&D. The iPhone didn't sell nearly well enough. Their recent earnings statement mentioned a bunch of money set aside for product development. As such, whatever the new product is, hopefully it isn't as stupid as the Apple TV unit or as costly as the iPhone. Judging by the amount of flash memory they've purchased, I would venture to guess at large memory iPods that are super thin.

11. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Correct (he is a she). Actually, I think the Microsoft was earlyish 1986, not 1985. I remember this because I went on a graduation trip to the Soviet Union right afterwards.
    Man, if I remember right, it was about $20 a share.

I sold some about 10 years ago when we bought a house but kept the bulk of it. I think there have been nine splits.

12. I think the last few days has answered this original question. Down $20 from its peak just a week or two ago. Damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted