1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple - Pick Up The White Courtesy Phone- The Muslims Have You In Sight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

QAEDA CUBE BOOBS 'MECCA' BIG STINK
    By PATRICK WHITE

October 14, 2006 -- Radical Muslims have conjured up one more reason to rage against America - the Fifth Avenue Apple Store.

A message posted Tuesday on the extremist Al-Hesbah Web site ripped Apple for erecting a glass cube - "clearly meant to provoke Muslims" - outside its new outlet on the corner of West 58th Street.

The posting - translated into English by the Middle East Media Research Institute - called the cube "a blatant insult to Muslims" for its supposed likeness to the Kaaba, a cubic masonry structure situated in the center of the world's most sacred mosque in Mecca.

The author expressed "hope that Muslims will be able to stop the project," according to the English translation posted at Memri.org.

But the Islamist loonies must have relied on old intel. Apple opened its underground retail store a full five months ago.

And that wasn't the only blunder the crazies made.

Pictures on the site comparing a black-covered Apple cube with the black-enshrouded Kaaba were taken when the cube was still under construction.

Al-Hesbah went on to attack Apple for naming the store "Apple Mecca" and installing "bars selling alcoholic beverages," according to Memri.

The store is actually called Apple Store Fifth Avenue. And it does house a bar, but it's an iPod bar - for downloading music, not downing bevvies.

Customers enter the underground outlet through a 30-foot-high glass cube directly in front of the General Motors Building.

Yigal Carmon, head of Memri.org, said that Al-Hesbah is one of the "five major Islamist Web sites in the world." It often carries videos of al Qaeda heavies such as Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri.

"These are extremist groups," said Carmon, "but they are serious. It is not a marginal site."

The Memri translation elicited instant outrage in the blogosphere.

"You Muslim a- - - - - -s did not invent the cube nor do you maintain an exclusive monopoly on its use," said one blog posting.

Those standing outside the store yesterday tended to agree.

"I don't think they look similar at all," said Kiran Dhaliwal, 26, looking at the giant Apple logo encased inside cube. "I think they're overblowing it a little."

Representatives at Apple tried to downplay the controversy.

"We regret that the comments of these independent bloggers have offended anyone," said Apple spokesman Steve Dowling. "The entrance is not an attempt to resemble the Kaaba."

* The Dalai Lama said after meeting Pope Benedict XVI yesterday that "a few mischievous Muslims" should not be allowed to give the Islamic faith a bad name.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully they'll wish death to technology and stop using it to their advantage.

3. Boom_70

Obviously they prefer Windows operating system.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In which crap British tabloid did you find this Boom? Or was it Australian?

Next time the Weekly World News runs a piece about some dizzy Norwegian grandma from Minot who discovers a silhouette of the apostle Paul sizzled into her potato pancake, I'll be sure to post it.

That way we'll all know how dangerous those crazy Lutherans really are.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Bill Gates = Terrorist

6. Boom_70

I just it was interesting because usually Muslims are not this militant about something so simple.

Story ran in the NY Post so I guess in some ways it could be British tab.

Are you doubting the accuracy?

7. Boom_70

ahhh I see you have been reading logic thread.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Doubt the accuracy of the NY Post? Do you think me insane, sir?

The word "bevvie" threw me briefly. Maybe they just pasted it whole from the globe-girdling Murdoch wires. Or perhaps Steve Dunleavy punched it up before he pitched forward unconscious into a pool of his own filth.

In any case, I don't think another "Oh, those daffy Muslims!" thread much furthers the cause of world peace, Boom. And your feeling about how "militant" most Muslims are is well known.

Cut and paste me a story about the 8,000th Catholic to find a miraculous Virgin Mary burned into his breakfast toast, though, and I'm all over it.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Where's the outrage from these stinking pricks when someone is beheaded, that head resembling their precious, fucking cube?

10. Boom_70

Hey JILFMS - get your head out of the Sahara.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think Ides is right on this one. We need to petition the FBI to put this four-eyed billionaire on their most wanted list.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's see if I have this straight...
    Cartoonists are not allowed to draw images of Mohammad.
    The Pope is now allowed to quote a guy who was dead for 600 years.
    No one is allowed to have a cubic structure.

Memo to militant Islam: Those of us who are not members of your faith are not subject to your rules, customs, laws, traditions, etc. If you get insulted or get your feelings hurt, too bad. Thousands of Catholics didn't take to the streets burning and rioting when an art exhibit featured a crucifix in a jar of urine.

Get a life.

Draft saved Draft deleted