1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple MacBook question/help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hachat11, Jul 20, 2006.

1. hachat11

hachat11 Member

I just bought a new MacBook and wondered if there was a way to transfer things from my old iMac G4 (which I'm getting rid of) to the new laptop. It's mostly just iTunes stuff and other Quark and Adobe projects, but I didn't know if it could be done.
    Thanks for anyone's help.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Semi-threadjack: How do you like your purchase and what level of bells/whistles did you get? I'm debating whether to buy one as my old PC laptop is on its last legs.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ethernet cable might be easiest. Burning a DVD (if you have a burner) probably second easiest.

4. House

House Guest

Just take an ethernet cable, like coffee said, make sure your two computers have file sharing open, and have one access the other (all this is done in System Preferences under Sharing). I just did this about a month ago (iMac G5 to a MacBook).

But, before you delete anything on the G4, remember to write down all of your software registration numbers (assuming you own them legally). Some software will require you to re-input this when you fire it up on the new machine. Not all programs, but just in case ... it's a good idea.

And just to chime in to Del's question: It's nice. If you use it for portable word processing at a game, I easily get four hours off a full charge. It does have a lot more bells and whistles than the earlier versions, even on the basic model. But I hardly use them. Just a drain on battery life. Most of all, I'll be able to have Windows XP on a separate part of the hard disk, so I could go to any paper and work whether they have Windows or OS X.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I ordered the basic MacBook last week from Apple.com -- for $1,099 bucks, plus the dail-up/USB modem I bought, that's a damn good deal. Now if only they would ship the damn thing.

6. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

There's an even easier way to do it with a firewire cable, called Target mode.

Shut down the old Mac. Restart, pressing "T" connect the two together via firewire cable and the old computer's drive shows up on the desktop of the new one. Drag and move files as you would from any hard drive. I find it easier to grab stuff this way.

To get the old computer back to normal: eject the drive image from the desktop of the new computer. Unplug and restart.

That's it and it's much faster in terms of data transfer.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

8. 2muchcoffeeman

The prices it listed were the same as for the regular online Apple store.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I just checked again: $1049, $1199, $1399 versus $1099, $1399, $1599

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Weirdly, I have the education prices on the left with $1099, $1299, $1499.

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

You should also check to see if you can get a discount through work. I would have saved about $60 if I had thought to check before buying mine. It isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

12. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Thanks for all the help. I'm psyched to get this thing up and running.

BTW, MacMall is offering a $100 rebate on MacBooks. It ends up being $994, which is the best price I could find. But I knew someone at an Apple Store, so I got the employee discount (around $935). The MacMall price is still pretty good, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted