1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple joins the Windows browser wars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 11, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.apple.com/safari/

Try it if you wish. When I used a Mac at my last shop, I never had any problems with Safari. Just like some Firefox extensions more.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

hasn't safari been around for a while? the computers at my old shop all used safari...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

On Macs, yes. This is the initial release for Windows (or any platform other than Mac OS X, for that matter).

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Duh. Didn't see the Windows part at first...

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Well, so far it's different, anyway. GUI is exactly like the current version of Mac OS X, and as promised it seems to be faster than Firefox. Importing bookmarks from Firefox seems to be an issue, however.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I liked Safari to a degree when I used on the Macs at my old paper, but I had a lot of problems opening ESPN and Sportsline stuff.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

I hate Safari, it doesn't work so well with on-line radio stations.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm downloading it, I figure what the heck, might as well give it a test drive.

AP also says that Safari will run on iPhones and iPods. When/how are iPods getting Internet capabilities?

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I had no problem importing Firefox bookmarks. The bookmark interface seemed odd, though. Instead of pulling down the bookmarks, you have to put them in a sidebar to see them. Also, it appears that the type on Web sites isn't as clear as it should be.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

I think the video-capable iPods are already a version of OS X as their operating system.

And the thing where you can resize text entry boxes as needed is cool.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't like it so far. The default text size is mad annoying.

Draft saved Draft deleted