1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple gives employees extra paid time off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 14, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Course, I've only made five years at one job once in my career, so we'll see. :D

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My now non-newspaper job provides a week off with pay between Christmas and New Year's. Along with extra holidays most newspapers don't offer.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

So I'm looking at a job with a travel company in Geneva, Switzerland, and the MINIMUM time off each year, by law, is four weeks. And, by law, you can't work more than 45 hours a week.

Now, I just have to demonstrate that no one in the EU wants that job.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Me, too. Two weeks at Christmas and a full week at Spring Break.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Dan, you're forgetting the delicious "Thanksgiving Night Newsroom Buffet," which usually includes unlimited portions of cheap potato chips, flat two-liter-bottle soda and those bad Oreo-imitation cookies.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. No complaints.

I think it's hard for some to comprehend that there are other good companies besides Apple and Google.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My friend temped at Philip Morris in the late 80s. Every Friday, a woman would come around with a cart and give out two cartons of cigarettes to the employees, whether they wanted them or not. My friend was a non-smoker. He'd walk down the street in Manhattan and give packs out to random people.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You could also work for a European-based company. I don't want to tell you how much time my wife "has off" in addition to her vacation time because of all the European holidays.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I suppose taking years off your life is kind of like giving you time off.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Check out what they're doing at my new non-newspaper job.

They are closing the office between Christmas and New Years, because there will be no work to do, but they are making people take their vacation days then. That's just not right. If I want to come in because I don't want to use my vacation, and they don't have any work for me to do, that's their problem, not mine.

Now, my supervisor agrees this is unfair, so she has basically said we can take four other days some other time (scattered, though, not in a row like you would for a real vacation) and just be "working at home."

That's something, but it's still a ripoff.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll admit that's a cool perk, and I don't smoke. I'd trade them for beer with my neighbors.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I want days off more than anything at my job. I can fly anywhere in the US for free and anywhere abroad for a very low fee, but I can never get days off to go anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted