1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apple: Corporate Tax Rates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 30, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ragu, as shown in the Apple piece, the equilibrium rate for taxation is 0 percent in Nevada. What you're saying is the equilibrium rate worldwide is based on the current structure; if the U.S. brings its tax rate* down to that of Ireland or Switzerland, then Ireland or Switzerland is going to be extremely motivated to find a new equilibrium rate, and on and on it goes.

*The cited tax rate itself is misleading, as shown by Apple and GE and who knows who else avoiding billions in taxes. We'd have to see what the real tax rate is.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe we should forbid any company with the majority of its assets parked overseas from bidding on defense contracts.

www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/military-ge-f136-jsf-engine

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also apt:

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/30/stephen-king-tax-me-for-f-s-sake.html

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We should just set our tax rates competitively with the rest of the world, and make the bidding process for government contracts competitive, as well, to procure things as cost efficiently as possible.

The simplest way happens to be the most efficient and the least subject to corruption.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd prefer we just did away with corporate taxes altogether, but something tells me most members of the board wouldn't be in support of my position.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are being a bit U.S. centric. This is a market that already exists, whether the U.S. is competitive or not.

Ireland and Switzerland are ALREADY competing. We're the ones who are not.

It's a safe bet that about where rates are already in the lowest tax havens in the world is the place where diminishing returns would bring about a disceconomy of scale if they lowered rates any more.

It's not like this is a game that isn't being already played out in a global marketplace.

You seem to think that if the U.S. tries to compete, THEN it becomes a marketplace. The marketplace already exists.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ireland's tax rate is, what, 12 percent? Say the U.S. lowers it to 10 percent. All U.S.-based companies with operations in Ireland go there and say, "Well, it was fun, but we can get that same rate at home, so there's really no reason for us to be in Ireland anymore." Staring at the prospect of thousands and thousands of newly unemployed people, what is Ireland going to do?

8. doctorquant

Probably wouldn't happen that quickly -- lots of assets over there aren't so easily displaced -- but your scenario's not without merit. Ireland would still have some comparative advantage (I'd think), so U.S. investment would find its new floor over time. The good news is it would be closer and closer to a true economic optimum -- capital invested where it generates the most value. If both countries lower their corporate rate to 0%, then, truly, capital would over time find its perfect place.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This is what the sociopaths desire.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You think these companies employ people in Ireland?

12. doctorquant

Just working off the scenario put in front of me.

Ooops ... just realized I wasn't being queried.

Draft saved Draft deleted