1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appendectomies - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Hey folks, my brother is set to have his appendix out tonight after having a really bad bout of appendicitis last night. Any of you or your family members have this done? What's the recovery rate? Aftercare procedures etc.

Thanks for any advice or tips.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Re: Appendectomies

I think that it's something you should have done by a professional.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No way, Oggie. Go holistic healer all the time. I know a guy.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Eh, get a 12-pack of beer and do it yourself. </Chef>

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Thanks for being serious.

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

All I know is a few years ago a major league catcher on the team I covered had one and was the DL for 15 days and was back in action. This guy is tougher than shit, though.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Obviously we'll be following doctor's orders here after the DOCTOR takes it out, I just didn't know if any of you people have had experience with this and I'd like to know how you dealt with it after it was out. My brother may be a big pain in the butt but he is still family.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just follow the doctor's orders, and he'll be fine. It's a routine operation.

9. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

My son had it done at 13. There's about a six week recovery period during which there's not any lifting or heavy physical activity.

10. Re: Appendectomies

Recovery time depends on how bad the appendicitis is. I had mine taken out, and it was pretty easy. (I was surprised when they told me it had to go - not a lot of pain beforehand.) My brother's had gotten so bad it had ruptured, so he was in the hospital a little bit longer and had a longer recovery. I was O.K. within a week, although a little sore when walking. But nothing major at all. Took my brother a little longer, but again, he was fine within 10-14 days. The heavy lifting is out for a while of course...

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

That's what I was thinking. I believe that the recovery period is somewhat based on the condition of the appendix at the time they remove it. So if they didn't remove it right away last night, then I would guess that is a good thing. As far as recovery and risks, I'm pretty sure it's the same as with any procedure that requires anesthetic.

I will have you and your brother in my thoughts. Hang in there.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

If they do it with a scope, 3 holes, minimal recovery time.
    He'll be just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted