1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apparently, his marriage cannot "BE HEALED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 18, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Here's what irks me about people like Hinn: If they were spot on, we wouldn't have need of a health care debate. I went to one of them healing services about 20 years ago. Watched intently as a woman on a walker came up to be healed and she walked gingerly out without the walker. Then I watched her after the service out in the foyer waiting for my wife. She had the walker in front of her and she was gazing at it like Evel Knievel gazed at the Snake River Canyon. She stayed there until I had to leave; not knowing I was staring at her.

Being a Christian, I understand one central element in scripture to be the universal will of God when one asks what such is. It's not the name-it, claim-it gospel. It's not a bunch of healing just waiting to be bestowed upon us, insurance card or not. It's that everyone come to know Christ. And to that comes this story: one about a man in Tennessee who somehow made it outside a hospital with his young dead child, heading for a "healing revival". The man brought the child down to the minister who you might guess, was taken aback. They prayed over the child, asked for more to come and lay hands on the child, on the dad. Nothing happened. The child never awoke from her eternal slumber. But, so goes the story, 200 people either accepted Christ that night or rededicated themselves, apparently after confronted with cold, heart reality. Death is real. I guess there was more good religion in that place that night than at 30 roll em in roll em out Benny Hinn circuses. Not to say miracles don't occur, just not as one man demands it.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, who's going to take the fall for this divorce?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

While working for a company that did soccer and college football games, I also worked a Scientology event and I worked security at one of Hinn's events in the mid-1990s at the local NBA arena. Was about 30 feet from where he was doing "The Anointing!"

A surreal experience, to say the least. A member of his staff was telling me about how he healed Evander Holyfield. The audience members were bawling their eyes out during the ceremony. The funniest part as when he started yelling and pointing at the front rows like he Magneto or something. They fell as if shot.

But of course people faint. Who wants 16,000 people to point and say "The Evil One is within them! They did not faint when they received the Anointing! Tear them apart!!!"

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

The prominence of people like Benny Hinn is proof, as if we needed it, that P.T. Barnum's words are timeless.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wonder if she had to get a restraining order from his healing hand?

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Maybe his hands weren't just for healing...

What makes it so obvious?

7. printdust

printdust New Member

You forgot to mention how Tom Cruise was set off by this event.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's very funny.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Those vids are fucking brilliant!

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

His hair was the first thing I thought of. Maybe the worst hair I've ever seen.

His show was an extra special type of weird. Especially at 3 a.m. after various types of intoxicants. Guess I was one of those he was trying to reach!

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Unless you're poor and willing to give up what little money you have for the promise of riches, then, no, you're not one of the people he was trying to reach.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

LMGTFY

Draft saved Draft deleted